Can I configure a wireless gateway so that it only allows one connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ravenvii, Jun 12, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm getting AT&T DSL soon, and they offer either a regular DSL modem, or a modem that also includes a wireless router.

I'm thinking of getting that wireless router, and then connecting my Time Capsule to it, and have the Time Capsule act as the "real" router, with firewalls and port forwarding configured and stuff.

I know I can have the modem-gateway act as a dumb gateway, no NAT or DHCP or anything, and treat the Time Capsule as the default host (and hence giving the Time Capsule the public IP address).

But I'm wondering if I can do it so that the Time Capsule is the only one connected to the modem? For security reasons and so forth. Is this possible?

2. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

3. AstroHouse macrumors member

I received my Time Capsule today and haven't set it up yet. It seems that you can restrict access through the log-in. Anyone else would need a password. I had DSL through a wireless router for several years before moving and changing to cable. I've continued to use a Linksys router. Never had a problem with secure sign-on.

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

wouldnt the most secure way to connect things be by using an ethernet cable?

from your modem/router directly to the time capsule.

turn of wireless sharing from the modem/router, or set it to "bridge" mode.

then you would set up wireless access from time capsule.

(or have i misunderstood what you are asking :eek:)