Can I connect 2 Macs to Thunderbolt Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iSayuSay, Jul 13, 2012.

1. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Title says it all ...

I'm planning to get an ATD, but can I do it?

Considering ATD has built-in Thunderbolt plug to connect instantly to MBA, and it still has another Thunderbolt port, right?
    So can I get another TB cable and connect it to the secondary Thunderbolt Mac using that port and still be able to use the ATD as external monitor?

Can I switch back and forth between those inputs?

Thanks for any information :)

2. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Unfortunately TB doesn't work that way. However, I have forgotten exactly what will happpen. I believe it will display the most recent input.

3. iSayuSay thread starter macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

So it's basically one input at a time? Well that's too bad. I hope the next ATD will have HDMI port so I can connect more computers and switch more easily. rMBP can have it after so long, so I don't see Apple being too strict to not include it.

Beside it's a good business since non Apple peripheral can also be connected into it, ATD is one of the best display out there and it will be like broadening your market segment. But I can only hope though :(

4. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Exactly. Each TB chain can only have one input.

5. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Does anyone know whether the thunderbolt display will take input from its thunderbolt port?

6. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Sure. I've got a Pegasus Promise input into a TBD input into another TBD running to a Mini. Is this what you mean? FYI, I don't think the TB chain has enough bandwidth for both displays pus the raid but the TB protocol allows it to happen.