Can i connect a PC desktop to a 27" i7 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maf2k8, Jun 15, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

I read thru some posts and i am not 100% sure if this is possible or not so i figure i would ask once more ( please dont beat me! )

I have a Windows 7 i7 PC desktop ( has DVI outputs )

I am planning on buying a iMac and might consider keeping my PC also. I would like to sell off my monitor and just have the iMac in its place.

Can i connect my PC to the iMac ( 27" model ) and switch between the 2? ( iMac and PC ) ?

i seen this on the Apple website but just want to be certain

"27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately)."

Also, If my PC has DVI outputs, what adapter would i need to connect my PC to the iMac?

Also, are there any CONS to doing this? Does it work as your typical monitor? or?

Thanks

2. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

The iMac also runs Windows, so I don't know why you would want a PC if you're going to buy the iMac. It seems expensive.

3. DarkStarr macrumors newbie

No, it wont work as a secondary monitor for your pc yet unless you can get a graphics card for the pc with mini display port output.

What do you use the pc for if its not graphics intensive i.e. games you can use remote desktop to bring the screen on to the mac.

As the previous post I use a combination of fusion and Bootcamp to facilitate all my windows 7 needs.

4. Blathian macrumors member

Hellhammer, are you sure that product works with ANY DVI out card or device (nvidia, ATI PS3, XBOX 360)??? Ive read somewhere that this or a similar device didnt work. Anyone try this before?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Doesn't work with PS3 or X360, that's for sure. Should work with all GPUs though