can i connect a time capsule to my network wirelessly?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bhs00, Apr 19, 2013.

1. bhs00 macrumors member

I had been using a 3tb HDD to backup my imac, but for some reason the drive keeps unmounting. I'm looking at purchasing a time capsule only for backup. The ports on my router are used up. Would I be able to connect a time capsule to my network by wifi? My router is a cisco with tomato installed. I really need to keep my router because I use it to track my monthly bandwidth.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You can indeed, but remember that the TC has four Ethernet ports too.

3. bhs00 thread starter macrumors member

true. I hadn't thought of that. Would I just disable dhcp and wifi and connect the WAN port to my router?

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You could, but I would see which wifi router gives you the best service. I run my Virgin Super hub in bridge mode because the TC gives me better range around the house. Try it both ways and see which is best for you. As for tracking your monthly bandwidth I can't really help, but there must be options out there for people using a TC.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

That's what I do. My router is next to my cable modem and voip in the garage where it was all prewired by the contractor. I have cat5 to the AirPort Extreme in the middle of the house. Routing with QOS and Dhcp is handled by router in garage and wireless by airport.

6. tengtengvn macrumors member

tengtengvn