Can I connect a wired printer to my iMac wirelessly with USB bluetooth dongle?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NuMystic, Nov 14, 2011.

1. NuMystic macrumors member

NuMystic

My iMac is bluetooth enabled, but my printer is not.

Can I buy a bluetooth dongle, plug it into the usb port of the printer and pair it wirelessly with my computer?

Thanks in advance for your insights and advice!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I think it would depend entirely on your printer. I used to have an Epson Photo Stylus RX595 printer that had a USB port, and was able to be Bluetooth enabled, but required a special USB Bluetooth dongle only available from Epson to work.

I tried it with a USB Bluetooth dongle I had lying around and it did not work as the printer did not have built in drivers to be able to use the dongle (nor had it any way of having those drivers installed).

I believe I've heard of printers that allow you to use generic Bluetooth dongles, but I cannot remember which those are.

What model printer do you have? Maybe there is documentation on the manufacturer's website or in some other forums online that would give you an answer.

3. NuMystic thread starter macrumors member

NuMystic

Oh, I'm sure the printer isn't made by design to accept a dongle, it's very old. HP PSC 1210.

If there isn't a "universal" solution then I'm probably out of luck.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Look into wireless print servers (more likely WiFi than Bluetooth for your printer). From a quick Google search it seems like you could connect it to an Airport Base Station but I'll leave it up to you to confirm.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Great suggestion. Though keep in mind that the Apple Base Stations are only print servers (not multifunction print servers) and will only allow you to print to it. You won't be able to scan or copy to the computer.

If you want to be able to scan wirelessly I'd suggest getting a true Wi-Fi network printer/scanner. Adapting your current printer to be wireless may be too much hassle and possibly cost as much as a new printer would.

6. NuMystic thread starter macrumors member

NuMystic

Definitely looks like any retrofitting is indeed likely to cost almost as much as buying one new. Thanks for the feedback everyone!