Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theMouthPiece

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2007
Wales, UK
Hi All

Just curious!

A friend of mine has a MacBook Air 2011 model that has died (her dog peed on it!! yes, seriously... you read that correctly!!) and I am wondering if it would be possible for me to attempt to extract the data on her internal SSD drive by connecting a USB to SATA cable to the internal drive and cloning the SSD.

I think the internal SSD of these MBA's are soldered into place so was wondering if I could open it up, disconnect the cable and somehow connect a new SATA cable.

Don't think this is possible as it is soldered, but thought I'd ask anyhow :)

Any thoughts?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
as a macbook 2010 user, you can remove the SSD, plant that in a SSD drive console , (a mac sales shoppe in you part of the planet sells em) an plug that into a usb mac. you will need a special screwdriver, pantalobe 6, 5 that should come with the encasement.

ya know that macbook air can be salvaged, just rubbing alcohol, and lots of clothespins.

Reactions: theMouthPiece

theMouthPiece

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2007
Wales, UK
as a macbook 2010 user, you can remove the SSD, plant that in a SSD drive console , (a mac sales shoppe in you part of the planet sells em) an plug that into a usb mac. you will need a special screwdriver, pantalobe 6, 5 that should come with the encasement.

ya know that macbook air can be salvaged, just rubbing alcohol, and lots of clothespins.

Great advice... I shall mention this to her.

PS: excuse my ignorance but what are clothespins?

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Dog must have read something it didn't like...

The SSD can be taken out. Just remember that SSD's in Apple products have that proprietary SSD connector so you will have to find the right adapter to plug it in.

theMouthPiece

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2007
Wales, UK
wooden things to cover ones nose with while repairing the macbook air.
Aha... here they are called 'pegs' :)
[doublepost=1534633073][/doublepost]
Dog must have read something it didn't like...

The SSD can be taken out. Just remember that SSD's in Apple products have that proprietary SSD connector so you will have to find the right adapter to plug it in.
If it can be taken out, it's an SSD with a SATA connector surely, so can accept a normal SATA cable?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No. It's a card-type SSD, and plugs into a card connector on the logic board, no cable there at all.
It's similar to an M.2 SSD card, but the pins on the card edge have a pin or two different spacing (just enough to make it compatible only with other Apple products.)
Looks like this - and you would like to get the white enclosure in the background from that kit, as that's really all you need (and a standard USB cable to plug in to another Mac.) OWC also sells the enclosure separately

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Aha... here they are called 'pegs' :)
[doublepost=1534633073][/doublepost]
If it can be taken out, it's an SSD with a SATA connector surely, so can accept a normal SATA cable?

Nope as far as I know it's an m2 flash storage. Looks like a stick of gum. Connector on end slides into MB connector. Connector is a Mac specific connector. It's not a standard m2 connector. There is a a slot in the connector. Some are near the middle some are off to one side depending on year/type. Need to find the right connector. Adapters are also available.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-air/2010-2011

theMouthPiece

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2007
Wales, UK
Many thanks for all the info folks. Much appreciated. I have ordered some rubbing alcohol, and will see if I can find any tracks that have eroded.

I am not confident this MBA is going to be salvageable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.