Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

averroesdesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Hi guys previously I had my 2015 Macbook Pro connected to my 30" Apple Cinema Display which ive owned since 2008 and it worked brilliantly. A few years ago I replaced my Macbook with the then new M1 Macbook Pro however never really looked into connecting it to my 30" Cinema Display. Ive seen this done using external adaptors however I was wondering whether I could somehow utilise my Apple Mini DisplayPort to dual link DVI adapter to save me from having to buy additional accessories? I have attached a picture of the adaptor I have. Whilst I know it has a USB Type A connection, I have a Type A to Type C converter for it.

I have tried connected it all up and whilst the Display power LED does come on, the screen remains blank.

Any advice is appreciated

Thank you :)

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 134

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
The USB-A connector is only to provide power to the electronics in the adapter. The video signal is only in the mini DP connection.
So you need an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to pass through the video for your M1 to your monitor's mini DP connector, and a source of power to the USB-A plug - simplest is to use a USB-A PSU.

I haven't tried this with an M1 Mac, but I used it for an earlier Intel MacBook Pro.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
So you need an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to pass through the video for your M1 to your monitor's mini DP connector, […]
That adapter will not work with DisplayPort devices. It only works with Thunderbolt devices, such as Thunderbolt displays. It can’t be used in this case.

Ive seen this done using external adaptors however I was wondering whether I could somehow utilise my Apple Mini DisplayPort to dual link DVI adapter to save me from having to buy additional accessories?
You can get a simple USB-C to miniDisplayPort adapter and daisy chain the miniDP to dual-link DVI adapter to that (you’ll also need a USB-C to USB-A adapter or USB power supply to supply power to the adapter) or buy a USB-C to dual-link DVI adapter.

averroesdesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
That adapter will not work with DisplayPort devices. It only works with Thunderbolt devices, such as Thunderbolt displays. It can’t be used in this case.

You can get a simple USB-C to miniDisplayPort adapter and daisy chain the miniDP to dual-link DVI adapter to that (you’ll also need a USB-C to USB-A adapter or USB power supply to supply power to the adapter) or buy a USB-C to dual-link DVI adapter.
Hi and thank you so much for taking the time out to reply.

Following what you advise would any USB-C to Dual Link DVI work. If that is the case I would rather buy one item rather than a few gadgets to make the previous adapter work. My query was more from the perspective of possibly not having to buy anything additional but if I must I would rather take the most minimalist approach.

Ive seen on a few youtube videos the same USB-C to Dual Link DVI being recommended however wondering if any kind would do as good of a job.

Thank you

averroesdesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
The USB-A connector is only to provide power to the electronics in the adapter. The video signal is only in the mini DP connection.
So you need an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to pass through the video for your M1 to your monitor's mini DP connector, and a source of power to the USB-A plug - simplest is to use a USB-A PSU.

I haven't tried this with an M1 Mac, but I used it for an earlier Intel MacBook Pro.
Sorry Paul I have just seen your reply now buddy. Really appreciate your contribution. I think Amethysts recommendation of a USB-C to Dual Link DVI sounds like a good idea dont you think.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Following what you advise would any USB-C to Dual Link DVI work.
I suggest you have a look at this thread (e.g. post #15), which suggests it isn't that simple. Given that, I'd probably give the USB-C to miniDP > miniDP to dual-link DVI route a try first.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.