Can I connect my Altec Lansing ADA995 to my Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by rishigangoly, Oct 17, 2011.

1. rishigangoly macrumors newbie

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

3. rishigangoly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. Just one more question. Will the fact that this device is 1.1 have any problem? The Mac Mini has a USB 2.0 port. Just checking to see if there may be an incompatibility issue here.

----------

Also would I need to install any drivers to get the Audio USB converter to work on the Mac? Or is it all Plug and Play?

4. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

Should be fine; if it were the other way around you would have some speed issues, most likely. Back when I wanted to use this exact system on my Dell, I had to hunt down the 5.1 to RCA(white/red) adapter, which was a pain to find. You're lucky to have found a USB solution!
    Just a warning to you; there is no way to control the volume on the speakers unless you use whatever it's plugged into to modulate the signal (i.e. the computer), so make sure the volume is low before using anything. I got blasted by these things at full volume once, and this system can get LOUD.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

USB 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.1.

6. nulall macrumors newbie

did that converter end up working ok for you?
    i am thinking about getting one for the same reason and wanted to make sure it works.

7. NateyNukez macrumors newbie

Is that compatible w/ OSX? I have the Zalman ZM-RSSC which cost significantly more. If it is I wish I saw this a while back.

I have the same speaker set. Some of the best computer speakers i've ever owned by far (especially back when i had a PC w/ an awesome Soundblaster card). It's still hard to find something that compares.