HomePod Can I control my Apple TV with a Homepod?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by I Need a Drink, Dec 4, 2018.

1. I Need a Drink macrumors regular

I'm thinking of switching out my Echos for HomePods next time there is a deal on them. I Googled some info on them and I read that if I pair the HomePod to the Apple TV to use as an audio source, then I can voice control my Apple TV through it for things like pausing a movie or skipping to a certain time, etc. However, I also read some comments that if I don't use the HomePod as an audio source that I can't use it to voice control the Apple TV. I have a very nice 7.1 setup and I have no plans to use a HomePod for audio when watching TV. So my question is, can I use the HomePod as a ATV remote of sorts if it is not being used as a audio source or not?

2. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

When it is used as an audio source I am not 100% sure, but I do not believe that you can control the TV.

I know for certain that when it is not paired as an audio source that you cannot use it to control the Apple TV.

3. Bgosh macrumors newbie

Bgosh

The HomePod can act as a limited Apple TV remote but only when its paired as an audio device. Siri commands that currently work with HomePod are pause, play, skip/go back (X number of seconds/minutes/hours).

4. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

You can only use it to control the Apple TV (pause, play etc) when it’s connected to the Apple TV as the audio output.

5. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

You can select multiple outputs from Apple TV, so you could use HomePod in addition to your current setup and adjust its volume independently. That way you could use voice commands to play, pause, rewind, ff, etc...

Otherwise, you'll have to rely on the Siri remote if you don't want to include HomePod as an output device..