Can I convert Bootcamp disk to parallers or similar?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Gloor, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I was wondering if I can use my current bootcamp disk and convert it to one of the software like parallers or vmware etc.?
    The reason is that I don't want to reinstall everything again from the scratch so I thought that there might be a way to use my current bootcamp disk and just turn it into those new things so I don't have to reboot the computer every single time I need to go to windows (which is not often)

So, was I correct thinking that this could be done or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes of course, both parallels and VMware will let you run your bootcamp partition within their application. You may need to re-activate windows but once done, you should be all set.

Vmware gives you one extra option (not sure if parallels does) and that's to import the bootcamp install into a vmware vmdk file, its called a P2V (Physical to Virtual) if you opted to stop running it from bootcamp. The advantage there is that you do get a performance penalty from running a bootcamp partition from a virtual environment as opposed to running windows inside their own proprietary file format (for vmware its the vmdk files).

4. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool, thanks for help.
    Actually tried it after you said it and now running parallels fine. :)

I just hope it will use my Windows disk instead of my Mac disk as I don't want my mac disk messed up with windows files. :)

I hope that is on default as I can't find that option yet :)