Can I copy protect embedded audio files?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by theeverstrange, Feb 16, 2009.

1. theeverstrange macrumors newbie

I am building a website for someone who wants to make audio files available for people to listen to but he doesn't want anyone to copy/steal them. They are not for sale either, they are demos for listening purposes only. So I was planning on embedding the files in the site, but is there an effective way to protect them from being copied? I'm getting the impression that no matter what you do there will always be people out there who know how to break through and copy your stuff anyway.

2. &Ingonyama macrumors member

You could use a flash player, that would make it somewhat more difficult to copy the sound file but i don't think its really possible to totally protect the material. Maybe you should only offer samples?

Try this: http://www.macloo.com/examples/audio_player/ - (edit, come to think of it this wont be much better since the url is in the source anyway.)

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Indeed, there is always crafty folks who find the ways around, and frankly it's not hard to do. Your best bet is to only offer a snippet (like iTunes 30 second preview) of the audio so what they may steal is only part of the audio and nothing is really lost.

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

You need to discuss with him what apple does and how even they are ripped off by scumbags who remove the drm then "share" / steal the files with their fellow scumbag thieves brothern.

The snipped idea is a great one which you should then followup on.

5. lostless macrumors 6502

Its extreamly easy to copy any audio coming from your computer. All you need is an audio ripper that will record any sound that the computer makes. Just look at the program audio hijack for mac. It can also be done with the free sound flower and garageband. Sound flower just routes all audio to a virtual microphone. worse case scenario their is always the analog hole, since sound needs to be converted to analo go be heard.

6. theeverstrange thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all, for the input. I think samples are a good idea and could work in some cases, but he also wants to have some interviews on the site. Interviews, voice over demos, and he is still deciding on what else. A mix of things, so samples and/or adding copyright language on the pages may be best, I guess...I'll have to talk to him.

I don't know anything about audio rippers but I am familiar with how easy it is to rip video. There's always a way, no matter what, people will find a way.

I was thinking about using some sort of Flash player, but it seems like it would be easier to just stick with an html method if it's going to be an html site, which it is. Unless a Flash player would be significantly better. Can anyone recommend a reliable approach? I have done some research on the html code people recommend, but there are always differences in the details. I'm somewhat new to web design...not that many people looking for print designers anymore...so I'm learning a lot of this stuff as I go.