Can I create a files server?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TechGod, Sep 14, 2014.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I just want a local server where I can access files and transfer files between my phone and my laptop. What programs do I need?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

When iOS 8 and Yosemite are both available, you can AirDrop between your iOS device and your Mac.

Or if you don't want to wait, you can enable SSH on your Mac (enable Remote Login and File Sharing in the Sharing area of the System Preferences pane), and connect your iPhone to the Mac via an SFTP client (like iTransfer)

3. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Well, I have an Android phone so that won't apply to me.

4. 556fmjoe, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

It would still work because it's just SSH; it's pretty much universally supported. There are plenty of SSH clients for Android. Personally I use JuiceSSH for Android and like it a lot.

edit: If all you want is simple file transfer, look into AndFTP. It's a little easier to use if you're not familiar with the command line.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you don't mind the low bandwidth there's always bluetooth file transfers.

6. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Sorry quick question. I could use cyber duck plus juiceSSH couldn't I? Sorry this is my first attempt doing anything network related like this.