Can I create four 500GB partitions in my 2TB HDD and raid them?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MythicFrost, May 17, 2011.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hi,

I'm looking at Disk Utility under "RAID" and I'm wondering if its possible for me to put four 500GB, or two 1TB partitions into a striped raid?

2. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Isn't Raid to protect you from a HDD failure? Can't see the benefit in doing this? If your drive failed you loose all 4 partitions and all your data.

3. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

you could, but you won’t see any benefit, and would likely slow it down significantly. So don’t.

4. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

As others have said, this wouldn't give any benefit.

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

There's still only one head in the drive to access every partition, so there'd probably be a performance hit rather than a gain.

6. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah, all right thank you everyone! I figured it wasn't that simple otherwise everyone would be doing it :p
    I believe a mirrored raid is for that, yes, but there are other types. I was thinking about a striped raid.

7. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

If you partitian a drive into 2 volumes and RAID0 them, you will effectively half your speed as the 'single' drive is reading and writing to '2' partitians.

The whole point of RAID0 is to spread the data accross many drives so data is accessed faster.

For example, if a drive reads at 100MB/s.

a 2 drive RAID0 array will read at 200MB/s (both at 100MB/s each).

RAID1 is different. in a 2 drive array with RAID1 the data is saved to both drives giving you 2 copies. If one drive fails you have another copy.

However if you accidentally delete a file, that file is deleted from both drives. RAID1 is ONLY usefull in the event of a drive failure.