Can I Create Two Different Disc Images On An External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JPM42, Jul 16, 2010.

1. JPM42 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to upgrade to Snow Leopard on both my iMac and Macbook and I just purchased an external hard drive to back my stuff up before I install. However, what I'd like is to use this external hard drive for both machines. So when I have my external hard drive plugged into my iMac, would it be possible to have Time Machine just back up only that disc image and when the external is plugged into the Macbook, then Time Machine can back up the MB disc image?

Admittedly, my knowledge of this type of thing is little, so thought I'd ask. If it is possible, how would it be done? I currently have Carbon Copy Cloner installed. Would it be done there?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It will create own folders for both Macs, they won't be backed up into same folder. There will be: Steve's iMac and Steve's MacBook folder.

CCC can create bootable backup and some people like it more than TM due customization

3. JPM42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. So there's nothing specific I have to do? When I plug in the external into my iMac and MB and back them up, it will automatically separate the two and create these folders?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. It won't mix them.

5. JPM42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome. Thanks!