Can I custom re-install just Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by woolnet, Jul 30, 2009.

1. woolnet macrumors member

Hi

Got two macs running side by side, same settings on mail, both receive, but my laptop has decided not to send - whatever server I try.

Is it best to reinstall Mail on my laptop? Will I lose all my info though?

Thanks

Oh yes, running 10.4.11 on both macs, one G4 Mirror and a G4 laptop

2. CLuv macrumors 6502

If you are just trying to re-install the Mail app, you will need a program called Pacifist so you can extract just that bundle from your Mac OS X disc.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I fail to see why reinstalling the application (especially with pacifist) will resolve a problem with the configuration.

I think you'd be better off (backing up first) cleaning up the library folder entries for mail. re-adding the application will not touch these files and you'll be left with the same problem because its not the program that's failing. Its running, but rather some sort of corruption with the plist, or other library type file.

4. woolnet thread starter macrumors member

Cool. Installing now. Let's see if it helps....

5. woolnet thread starter macrumors member

I suppose I asked the question and got an answer about installing just Mail which looks like a good way of installing just one programme.
    When you say 'cleaning up' do you mean 'delete' the library entries, plist, address book etc?
    I've made a copy of these and hoping that it will create a new plist?
    Either way, it's nice just to be able to reinstall just the bit of software you want, rather than the whole lot....isn't it?
    :confused:

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My point is using pacafist is only going to be adding the application and not the not creating/updating/ those items in the library folder. To that end I don't think its going to help you. Try it, I could be wrong on installing the app. It won't be the first time I was wrong nor the last ;)

7. woolnet thread starter macrumors member

Hi all

As maflynn rightly said, just reinstalling the programme wasn't enough...

Cleared the address book, plist and mail stuff from the library.

Added the accounts again from scratch....

Works...Fine....hmmm, apart from an smtpauth which I'll have to look into - maybe I need use my ISPs smtp settings...:rolleyes:

Anyways, now onto my iPhone that has developed the same annoying habit...

Cheers