Can I cut and use my 3GS SIM in my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by channelinspire, Jun 23, 2010.

1. channelinspire macrumors member

channelinspire

I have a full sized SIM from a work phone that I have used in my last two iPhones. This account is paid for so I want to cut that SIM to put it in my iPhone 4.

It was easy last year to activate the 3GS with a new number (I later put that SIM in my 2G iPhone and gave it to my daughter), swap SIMS and then everything worked fine. With the smaller SIM slot, I am not so confident. I know that people have cut full sized SIMs and put them in iPads, but I don't want to mess up my SIM since it might be tough to get another one from work.

Anyone know? I have looked at the tutorials online, but the iPhone 4 contacts look a little different than the ones I am seeing.

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I can't say for sure - however as long as you have an account to activate the phone. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

3. channelinspire thread starter macrumors member

channelinspire

That is what I am hoping.

I'll activate it with my daughters number. Pull the SIM and put it in an adapter in the 3GS to give to her. Then Hopefully cut my full size SIM to put in the 4.

I think I'' go get a $20 prepaid phone first to test cutting and make sure I can get that part right.

4. channelinspire thread starter macrumors member

channelinspire

Here is what is scaring me a little. The contact part of the SIM is a different size.

3GS on the left and iPhone 4 on the right.

[​IMG]

5. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

The contact on my sim that I cut was the exact size of the micro sim. I ended up not using it and just having AT&T activate the iPhone 4 sim with my number but it should work. Of course all it takes is a quick call to AT&T to activate the iPhone 4 with your number.

6. channelinspire thread starter macrumors member

channelinspire

For the archives and anyone else in my situation.

It worked.

I activated the iphone 4 with my daughter's number.

Then pulled the Micro SIM out.

Put that Micro SIM in an adapter in my 3GS to give to my daughter.

Cut my full size 3GS SIM to a micro size and put it in the iPhone 4.

Phone works. :)

This is good. I get to keep getting my iphone service for free from work. :)

7. dast1g macrumors regular

dast1g

where did u learn how to cut it down?

8. richard371 macrumors 68000

DOes the 3G actualy work with the cut sim?

If you turn off the wifi does the 3G work?

9. mossme89 macrumors 6502

So you have to activate the micro-sim first? Could you activate it on something like gophone like a normal Mini-SIM card can do, or are these special? Do you have to pay for service when activating?

Basically what i have is a gophone SIM with $55 on it that i used for my 3G. Could i just cut it and activate with it? Why do you have to use a Micro-SIM to activate?

10. channelinspire thread starter macrumors member

channelinspire

Yes. Just double checked.

11. channelinspire thread starter macrumors member

channelinspire

It wasn't about activating the sim, it was about activating the phone. Then the SIM could be switched.

12. channelinspire thread starter macrumors member

channelinspire

Read a few tutorials online and held it against my micro sim adapter.

13. mossme89 macrumors 6502

But what i'm saying is why can't you activate the phone with a pre-existing SIM?

Regardless, do you have to pay for a month of service or sign a contract to activate?

14. channelinspire thread starter macrumors member

channelinspire

I don't know the answer to that. Maybe you can. I was just too scared to cut my SIM before the phone was activated. Looking back, I guess it wouldn't have hurt to try. I am always fearful of them flagging my work account though. They don't love me using this SIM in an iPhone.

15. mossme89 macrumors 6502

Just curious, but how did you activate the new SIM? Through AT&T's website?

16. ScottBGKY macrumors member

What data plan does your work line have on it? Mine has an Enterprise smartphone plan and my iPhone's data has never worked without using some sort of APN changer. I always use unlockit.co.nz to install a custom APN and I'm good to go.

I went to the local AT&T store and bought a Micro-SIM. They finally sold me one after some debate. Then popped it in my adapter and called 611 and told them I had a bad SIM and got a new one at AT&T but needed my number switched to it. They called my company and got authorization to do it.

Now when I upgrade my son's line tomorrow to get the iPhone 4 all we have to do is take his microsim out of the iP4 and put it in the adapter and back in his 3G. Take my now working microsim and put in the iP4 and go.

17. Odid macrumors regular

18. channelinspire thread starter macrumors member

channelinspire

Got one from ebay and another from http://microsim-shop.com/ so that I could be sure to have one here when I needed it.

19. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

When you say activate do you mean the screen on the iPhone that says connect to iTunes? You should be able to do this without a SIM card installed and use the phone as an iPod touch if you wanted.

20. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

I have a prepaid Go phone that I'm using with a 3GS. I want to buy the iPhone 4 no commitment price, cut down my SIM and throw it in the iPhone 4.

21. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I cut my AT&T GoPhone sim card down and sadly it doesn't work now. :(

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if it was because I cut into the three metal contacts on the bottom of the card. The microSIM that I have from Rogers doesn't seem to have the top or bottom contacts...

[​IMG]

:confused: