Can I damage my rMBP playing games in Windows 8

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by renosausage, Jun 1, 2013.

1. renosausage macrumors regular

I've been playing Knights of the Old Republic through Windows 8 for hours with my Macbook just constantly trying to cool it self down.

Will this eventually mess up my rMBP? The temperature never get above 96 degrees, but the heat just radiates from the machine.

I can't even use the Keyboard, I have to use an external keyboard and mouse.

2. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Im sure long term it will probably die faster than one that doesnt get as much heat from gaming. I'm doing the same. As you know, these arent meant for gaming, but that doesnt stop us, even though our gpu is pretty capable. :D

3. Radiating macrumors 65816

It shouldn't get that hot. Something is wrong. Try running a serious graphics game or demo in OSx and see if it gets that hot. The fan controls might not be working in windiws 8 yet.

4. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm sorry I should have been more specific, it gets that hot when I play BF3 on multiplayer mode.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If it gets too hot, the computer is designed to automatically shut down. So, no worries.

6. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

You also mention it heating up during Knights of the Old Republic, though, which shouldn't happen.

7. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Are you boot camping? W7 or W8? What temps are you getting and what game/settings?

8. wmage macrumors member

And that's how I broke my brand new Air. (Of course they fixed it for free, there must've been something wrong with the automatic shutdown thing.)

My advice - try to break it while it's still under warranty. :)

9. er15 macrumors member

But don't most laptops get hot when gaming?

I guess it's just a natural process when you're putting the CPU/GPU under gaming use to get hot :)

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, but other computers may not get as hot as MBP especially with a MBP running windows.

My advice is to monitor the temps and take a break if you think things are getting too hot.

11. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

96C is pretty normal playing heavy games. That's what I get playing FIFA, AC 2 and Brotherhood and Tomb Raider. The CPU TMAX is 105C and the rMBP will shut down if it gets to temps it can't stand. It just feels hotter than other laptops because it's way thinner than most and it's made out of aluminum which conducts heat a lot faster. I wouldn't worry.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I thought the CPU shutdown at 100c?

13. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

The official max temperature on i7 Ivy Bridge processors is 105ºC.

14. leman macrumors 604

Ah, the never-ending topic... Yes, the MBP will get very hot when playing games. Who cares? It can take it. Will you damage it? You are already damaging it just by turning it on ^^ Whether people like the idea or not, computers are articles of daily use, they deteriorate with time. Will the excessive heat reduce the livespan of the machine? Yes it will. But your computer will become obsolete (performance-wise) long before it will die. And if it dies early, then there was already some sort of hardware weakness from the start which would have probably lead to failure regardless of how you use it.

15. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Between work and home I've had a number of quad-core i7 laptops (and a Core 2 Quad) from HP, Dell and Apple. All of them have run hotter than your average notebook. Only one has suffered a failure due to heat (the HP, with a Nehalem i7-720QM) and believe me when I say you'll have plenty of warning. The throttling was so bad in the months leading up to the eventual failure that the system was nearly unusable even before it started having heat shutdowns at the Windows desktop.

The Retina MacBook Pro has the best ventilation design of any quad-core laptop I've owned. A close second is the Dell Precision (M4600 in my case), but it's also three times thicker and runs much louder.

16. Radiating macrumors 65816

Are we talking CPU or GPU? GPU should stay around 80-90 if it goes above 90 there are problems.

17. beautifulcoder macrumors regular

Be warned.

KOTOR is exactly what killed an old machine of mine I built from scratch. I think I failed to put a good cooling system on it to begin with though. It actually played well until one day green smoke came out of the back of the machine.

My question is, when I hear folks using a rMBP on Windows 8 I have to ask, Why? Windows 7 is far superior albeit outdated.

18. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

cpu

19. Radiating macrumors 65816

Oh then he's fine, that's normal. I had issues around 95 degrees when i did very heavy gpu overclocking and needed to boost cooling, but with cpu thats fine. Windows 7 is def superior though.

20. leman macrumors 604

If I were to guess I'd say a faulty PSU killed your computer :p

21. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

windows 7 is neither superior nor outdated.

so it mustve been a amd gpu I take:p

thats classic for either poor handling of cooling (pasted wrong, not enough ventilation...) or psu going bye bye

22. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Isn't Windows 7 actually superior due to the drivers? Heard Apple did a botch job while writing drivers for Windows 8 under boot comp so the majority recommend Windows 7. Also heard Windows 8 doesn't scale well under Retina.

23. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Everything you've heard is true.

24. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

no and no

what drivers? bluetooth? wifi? kb? touchpad? those are the only ones that actually matter. all of them work, and the touchpad is still as crippled as always.

gpu? chipset? get from nvidia/amd and intel

everybody recommends win 7, because they cant be bothered to learn something.