Can I delete an iOS Update without Installing It?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rodster, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Rodster macrumors 68040

I reset my iPad 2 and it downloaded iOS 6 and i'm happy with iOS 5.1.1

So, is there a way to delete it? It's taking up 2GB of space that I would like to have back. :confused:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's only taking up 800MB of space. No you cannot delete it without being jailbroken. If you are jailbroken and it's deleted, iOS will redownload it.

3. Rodster thread starter macrumors 68040

OK thanks so it sounds like whether it's JB or not the iPad will continue to request a redownload. I'll just leave it be then. :)

4. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Erase your iPad. Not a restore as that will try to download the update and install it via iTunes.

Settings, General, Reset (It's at the very bottom) and Erase all Content and Settings.

use a backup that is prior to when you downloaded the file to avoid putting it back on somehow. If you restore at all. Depending on what you are doing you might just want to set it up new. If you can use an icloud backup rather than an itunes I'd go that way. In my experience any crashing corruption that might cause freezing etc seems to get skipped by iCloud, but not always by iTunes.