Can I delete an unwanted User?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Watto63, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Watto63 macrumors newbie

I've just upgraded my late 2007 macbook with a new Hard Drive and Ram. Having completed the exercise I find that on log in I now have 2 Users (both me) one user has all me info correctly transferred the other has all applications but nothing transferred in terms of photo's etc. How do I get rid of the unwanted User at the log in page??

Thankshttp://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif

2. maz-o macrumors member

maz-o

In this case I would do a complete backup clone to an external HDD (with Carbon Copy Cloner app, Time Machine, or similar), reinstall whichever OS X version you're using from scratch, and during install use Migration Assistant to restore all your stuff from the backup (make sure to check only the user accounts you want to restore).

I feel like a clean install is always the best option performance-wise when installing a new HDD/SSD. And Migration Assistant is an outstanding utility for that.

If you don't want to do a new clean install, I'm sure there are easier ways to just delete the other user. Never done that myself though.

3. Watto63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Maz-o

I did a clean install using Migration Assistant when I replaced the hard drive. I have, however, obviously not followed instructions and I've ended up with this duplicate user with a slightly different name and password (although it's still me).

I noticed the change when my external HD informed me that time machine couldn't complete because of insufficient room for the first time. I've put this down to the fact that it's currently trying to copy 2 sets of applications as well as all my docs etc.

I didn't want to go through it again if there's a shortcut, but if there isn't then so be it.

Thanks again

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you already had your account on the system then also used Migration Assistant to import your account and data, now you have duplicates of everything and a bit of a mess. Is that what you did? Do you still have the backup disk you can import from again? If you do, here is what to do.

Make a new admin account called "temp" (we will delete this later). Now logout of your account and login to the temp account. Now from within the temp account delete both of the other user accounts so all there is left is the temp account. Now still from within the temp account run Migration Assistant and import your data from the backup disk. That will bring in your personal account and data.

Now logout of the temp account and login to your real account that should have been imported. Check around to make sure everything looks okay in the account then go ahead and delete the temp account. That should fix you up.

5. Watto63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Weaselboy
    Sorry for the delay in responding been away. Will give your suggestion a try, but first need to check if the time machine backup still has my HD copy on it because the last few times I've tried backup Time Machine says it doesn't have sufficient memory (because it's trying to copy both users).