Can I delete my bookmarks from iCloud?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by StuMcBill, Nov 24, 2016.

1. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

I've just sorted out my bookmarks on my Mac, and uploaded them to Xmarks, however, for some reason my bookmarks/favourites keep being overwritten, presumably from iCloud.

Is there anyway I can delete the iCloud bookmarks, or can I force overwrite them with my Safari bookmarks on my Mac, and therefore sync them with my iPhone and iPad?

Thanks,
    Stewart

2. Brookzy, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016

Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Yes.

I'm going to assume your Mac, iPhone, and iPad all use the same iCloud account. In which case:
    • On your Mac, go to iCloud preferences, and uncheck Safari.
    • On your iPhone, delete all your bookmarks. They hide in lots of places so make sure you delete them all (e.g. 'Bookmarks Bar', 'Bookmarks Menu')
    • Wait a good 15 minutes and check your iPad. Have the bookmarks been deleted from there too? If yes, proceed, if not, wait longer until they delete themselves (don't manually delete them - iCloud will get very confused if you do that)
    • On your Mac, re-check Safari and press OK when you are warned that your current bookmarks will be uploaded and merged with iCloud.
    Job done.

3. StuMcBill thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks mate, that worked perfectly!!