Can I delete old iPhoto Library after importing to Photo?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrholder, Apr 30, 2015.

1. mrholder macrumors regular

I recently switched to Yosemite and let the Photo app import all of my iPhoto images. I now have a Photos Library (116.7 GB) and an iPhoto Library (113.2 GB). Can I delete the iPhoto Library without losing anything?

2. vladobizik macrumors 6502

Yes. The old and new libraries refer to the same "phycal" files actually on the hard drive and unless you remove all references to the files (i.e. both of the libraries), you will lose no data. So you may go ahead and remove the old iPhoto library. When migrating to Photos, little or no data at all was actually duplicated, so keep in mind that you will not gain the full 113.2 GB back because those files will still be in the Photos library.

3. mrholder thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks! I just ran out of room on the hard disk, so hopefully this will free up a few gigs at least.

4. hagr182 macrumors regular

Just make sure to check for each and everyone of your photos to actually show up. I did not and lost over 4 years of pictures. Luckily I was able to recover all of them with Disk Drill, but I had to fork out 39.99 for it.

5. mrholder thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that info. I'm going to backup my original iPhoto Library first, before I do anything. I've lost several years of pictures before too, and I've never lived it down, lol.

6. hagr182 macrumors regular

I also had a backup on two separate drives so at first I wasn´t too worried, of course that is until I realized both drives somehow decided to stop working the moment I needed them.

Murphy´s Law.......

Now I am including the cloud for backing up my JPEGS, my RAW files will have to continue to be stored on local drives

7. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

Using a data recovery tool is a way for emergency situation. When you have not a backup for your photos or your backup files are unavailable, you can only use this tool to have a try. But never forget to backup. In my opinion, you should have two backup for your photos at least. I do backup my photos both in cloud and local.