can i delete os 9 to free up space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by meddahmorphosis, Feb 22, 2009.

1. meddahmorphosis macrumors newbie

can i delete my os 9 to free up space and just run my 10.4.11 or will that malfunction the mac? and if i can is there a specific way that i have to do it?:apple:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What do you mean by OS 9, Classic or installed independently? What kind of Mac are you running?

3. meddahmorphosis thread starter macrumors newbie

:eek:)

i am running power mac g4 now you know when u go to apple>system preferences>startup disk> and in here u have options to choose which operating system you can run on i have mac os x 10.4.11 and then also mac os 9.2.2 i use protools and i need more space and i figure getting rid of 9.2.2 will free up alot of space on hard drive. but can it be done?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In that case, yes. Does the Mac OS 9 drive partition show up on your desktop along with your OS X?

5. meddahmorphosis thread starter macrumors newbie

on my desktop all i see is my macintosh hd and my external lacie drive and just random things i put on there i see nothing that says os 9........ when i go to apple>system preferences>startup disk> and i highlight mac os 9 it says "you have selected mac os 9.2.2 on the volume "macintosh hd"

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ah, in that case, it sounds like you can just delete the OS 9 system folder.