Can I delete Sherlock and others?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaveF, Jul 6, 2008.

1. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Is it safe to delete standard Apple applications like Sherlock and Stickies. As a recent switcher, these are useless to me. But I don't know if it's safe to delete Apple apps willy nilly.

With that, are there other obsolete applications you suggest I trash?

2. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Yes, it is safe to trash. And depending what you use, you can pretty much just run through your application folder and delete anything that you don't see yourself using. For me, that included such programs as garageband.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Garageband installs much more than just the application itself. You probably still have about 2GBs of Garageband stuff hanging around on your hard drive.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

What OS are you on? Sherlock hasn't been around for a while. In any case, being a recent switcher doesn't make them useless to you, you should hold on to these small tools and actually try to use them. Just because you don't perceive a need doesn't mean there isn't one (mainly, because such a thing wasn't really available to you before). Also, things like Stickies aren't so much productivity apps, but just little tools to help. I use them about twice a month, but they fill a niche that nothing else does nearly as conveniently. Finally, they don't take that much room. If you need to free up that little space, you've got larger problems.

Try living with them a while and using them, you'll be surprised.

5. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

There's really no reason to delete them...They aren't taking up that much space

6. DaveF thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried using Sherlock; I was surprised it's still included in OS X :) (pre-installed on a new 10.4.9 MBP bought last summer.) I tried Sherlock and it's from a different time, no longer useful in a "web 2.0" world.

I use the Dashboard Stickies and don't need the older desktop stickies program.

They don't take much hard drive space, but they clutter my Applications folder making it bit harder to scan through and what I need.

I dabble with Garage Band, so I keep its files. But I think I installed the Developer tools, to try X11, and no longer need it. I should check into removing that stuff.

Any other Sherlock-era apps worth tossing?