Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sl33pyhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
hiiii! =)

The default mail app that comes with macs constantly crashed/didn't work for me, even after trying the fixes. So I downloaded the free one from the app store which seems to be functioning nicely.

I was wondering why I was low on memory and found that 22+ gigs is in users/library/mail folder. Can I just delete the entire folder or would that... have any bad effects? I had no idea gmail saved things on my computer? I thought they were all saved in the internetz-world in gmail.

thank you!

BileGhost

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
The only application it will affect is Mail, so if you aren't going to use that, go nuts.

If you want to make sure Mail still works, move the folder to your desktop, then start Mail. If it runs fine, you should be fine to delete it. If not, copy it back.

sl33pyhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
AH LOL I'M SUCH A NOOB!
good idea man thanks. Totally forgot I could do that even though I've done it a million times.

Good stuff.

I dug deeper into the recovery files it made and found that it duplicated a 35 mb file i sent ages ago hundreds of times. no more mail app for me! ty very much good sir!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.