Can I delete the "On my Mac" calendars?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by desertman, Feb 10, 2013.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I started out with having only "On my Mac" calendars in Calendar. After getting an iPad I activated iCloud and have now on my Mac in Calendar "On my Mac" calendars and the same calendars also as "iCloud" calendars. On my iPad I have only "iCloud" calendars.

Although I have deactivated the "On my Mac" calendars on my Mac OS X in its infinite wisdom decides once in a while to activate them (or better: some of them) again which not only means that I see many of my long standing, repeating entries twice but it can also mean that I sometimes by mistake make a new entry into one of my "On my Mac" calendars instead of onto the "iCloud" calendar.

Does anybody know why OS X re-activates the local calendars sometimes? Can this be prevented?

Can I savely deleted all my local calendars? Will I then still see all my entries even if my internet is down?

Thanks - desertman

2. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

If you're seeing duplicates, I would assume that it's safe to delete the local calendar events. And no, you don't need an Internet connection to see iCloud-based events; it's used only to store and push changes to your calendar across your devices. Without Internet, any changes you make to your calendar will not be reflected in your other devices' Calendar app until you get a connection.