Can i disable EDGE on 1.1.2 jailbroken UK iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by serverplads, Feb 16, 2008.

1. serverplads macrumors member

Hi

I have just installed a stealthSIM on a jailbroken 1.1.2 UK iPhone! My question is how to disable EDGE? I'm on Virgin UK network, which uses T-mobile's network!

The wired thing is, that under EDGE settings there is no settings typed in (address, user, pass), but i'm still able to go online using EDGE!

I have read that the programme Service could help turning this off, but i can't get it to install!

Is there another way to turn EDGE off, so that i don't get charged for using EDGE?

Thanks

2. Geekable macrumors newbie

Just change all the settings to read 'none'. That's what I did anyway.

3. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

thats the strange thing! There is nothing typed in the settings, they are all blank! But i can still use EDGE! Isn't that strange?

4. Neobond macrumors regular

are you sure your not using wifi?

i am also trying not to get charged from my cell company for data usage, i used BossPrefs from the installer app to disable edge, and it my status menu it says i have no edge data transfered. but i want to know if i am going to be charged for data over wifi?

5. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Ye, i'm sure it's not wifi, because i have turned it off! And i can see online on virgin's website that i'm being charged for data!

You are not going to be charged for wifi...!

6. Geekable macrumors newbie

For the love of...

Change them to say NONE, ie. type the letters N, O, N and E. It's might be that Virgin have no username/password needed for EDGE.

7. taiji80 macrumors newbie

I am also worried about the bill for data...i just got my iphone a few days back. GEEKABLE> do you mean to type 'none' in the network edge settings?
    for APN, username, and password?

if i try safari without wifi and it tells me that i don't have edge setup mean that i won't get charged data? because all of my network setting fields are blank.

thanks

8. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

I'm also having trouble with this, since upgrading to 1.1.3 - I'm on an unlocked/JB phone with a Virgin SIM.

In 1.1.1, I could use Services.app to disable EDGE and I'd get then 'not subscribed to EDGE' message if I tried to check email, surf, etc. Since I went to 1.1.3, Services.app disables EDGE, but then it immediately comes back on.

I've also tried typing things like DISABLED, NONE in the EDGE settings and making up nonsensical passwords and usernames but it still remains on (I checked my usage bill online).

Are there any other apps that can disable EDGE? Maybe something changed with 1.1.3 that makes Services.app not work as before.

TIA

9. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

You can use BossPrefs to disable EDGE on 1.1.4, It works great.

10. peterhenley macrumors member

Virgin pay as you go

Any reason why a pay as you go Virgin SIM would not work with an unlocked iphone? I use a Virgin Razr on UK trips right now...