Can I disable texting temporarily?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Sep 25, 2011.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Was wondering if there is a way that I can disable texting on my iPhone for short periods of time.

I'm constantly handing my phone off to friends and family members to view pictures, videos etc. And I also get a lot of text messages. I hate when someone else has my phone and they have to hand it back because a text notification pops up. Its a small in inconvenience but a PIA none the less. Also from a privacy standpoint, I don't want other people to see who is texting me. I have details turned off, but the persons name still pops up. Not that I have anything to hide, but I'd rather just disable texting while someone else has my phone. I don't want to lose the texts completely but rather just suspend them for a few mins.

If it's not possible in iOS 4, does anyone know if iOS 5 has this capability?

2. shandyman Suspended

put it in airplane mode when you give it to someone? then take it out of airplane mode when you have it back, then your texts will come through

3. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank u Shandy! Cant believe I never thought to put in AP mode. Duh!

4. james92se macrumors 6502a

Or just disable notifications before handing it off, that's what I used to do. Now I use LockDown Pro

5. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Will the texts stay suspended & come through after notifications are turned back on? Or are they lost?

And is lockdown a JB app?

Thank u!

6. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Lockdown is mostly likely a JB app because the ability to control this is not currently available on the App Store, and the Settings app for Messages does not provide much customization.

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

8. MacAddict1978 macrumors 65816

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is a feature of IOS 5 to hide your notifications entirely, but that might only be from the lock screen. If the phone is open and in use, I don't think that works.

If would be nice someday (especially with the iPad) to have either multiple users, or a mode that you can switch into that cuts off communications, hides email, etc. Basically just lets someone play with the apps you allow and photos you allow.

Lockable picture folders with a password would be fabulous.

9. shandyman Suspended

As stated earlier, airplane mode does that pretty much.....