Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

rookpsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Philadelphia
I capriciously scooped up another Korean QHD panel on sale because it had an HDMI port and therefore - at least I thought - I could finally jettison the Dual-Link DVI issues that plagued my old one.

Little did I realize that my knockoff mDP to HDMI cable was only going to send at 1080P. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the cable or my drivers.

I have a mid-2012 MBA with the Intel HD 4000 card.

Is there a more robust Thunderbolt->HDMI cable out there (or possibly updated drivers) that would allow me to send QHD across the wire or am I going to have to shell out $100 for another crappy Dual Link DVI cable?

motrek

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2012
I capriciously scooped up another Korean QHD panel on sale because it had an HDMI port and therefore - at least I thought - I could finally jettison the Dual-Link DVI issues that plagued my old one.

Little did I realize that my knockoff mDP to HDMI cable was only going to send at 1080P. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the cable or my drivers.

I have a mid-2012 MBA with the Intel HD 4000 card.

Is there a more robust Thunderbolt->HDMI cable out there (or possibly updated drivers) that would allow me to send QHD across the wire or am I going to have to shell out $100 for another crappy Dual Link DVI cable?

I think it's a limitation of the version of HDMI supported by the Air and probably the monitor too. Those monitors all say they require dual-link DVI input to be driven at full resolution.

I have been temped by those panels before but didn't buy one for exactly this reason. If you have a chance to send it back, might be worth it. I believe there are a bunch with DisplayPort inputs for < $100 more.

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
HDMI does not support it. It's not the cable.

Display port supports the resolution. Buy a display with Display Port, and use mini-display port to display port cable.

Otherwise you need dual-DVI ADAPTER and CABLE, much more expensive than getting a display with displayport.

Comment

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I just got a six dollar mono price mini display port to display port and it works great at 1440p with my Mac book air and asus screen.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.