Can I do 2560 x 1440 over mDP -> HDMI?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rookpsu, Oct 8, 2014.

1. rookpsu macrumors member

I capriciously scooped up another Korean QHD panel on sale because it had an HDMI port and therefore - at least I thought - I could finally jettison the Dual-Link DVI issues that plagued my old one.

Little did I realize that my knockoff mDP to HDMI cable was only going to send at 1080P. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the cable or my drivers.

I have a mid-2012 MBA with the Intel HD 4000 card.

Is there a more robust Thunderbolt->HDMI cable out there (or possibly updated drivers) that would allow me to send QHD across the wire or am I going to have to shell out $100 for another crappy Dual Link DVI cable?

2. motrek macrumors 68020

I think it's a limitation of the version of HDMI supported by the Air and probably the monitor too. Those monitors all say they require dual-link DVI input to be driven at full resolution.

I have been temped by those panels before but didn't buy one for exactly this reason. If you have a chance to send it back, might be worth it. I believe there are a bunch with DisplayPort inputs for < $100 more.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

HDMI does not support it. It's not the cable.

Display port supports the resolution. Buy a display with Display Port, and use mini-display port to display port cable.

Otherwise you need dual-DVI ADAPTER and CABLE, much more expensive than getting a display with displayport.

4. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I just got a six dollar mono price mini display port to display port and it works great at 1440p with my Mac book air and asus screen.