Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breakneckridge

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018
I'm creating technical presentations like the attached video.

/// Goal:
The goal is to present my slides with recorded audio and realtime pointer that I draw on my ipad.

The output should be be in a web-ready format.

Viewers should be able to switch between different slide styles (e.g. black or white background, thin or bold lines) and different pointer styles (e.g. big yellow dot pointer or half-opacity blue star).

/// What I've been doing:
I've been recording my performance of the presentation using Keynote on an ipad with pencil. Then in After Effects I motion-track the red dot, apply that motion to a shape for the pointer, then on the original recording track disable the video but keep the audio, then drop in PNG images of the slides at each moment (frame) when they switch in the recording.

This is labor intensive, but the output looks perfect.

/// Next steps?:
I was thinking it would be great if I could use a different app (like Animate?) where I could take the original recording's audio and motion tracking, and put that on top of a picture-track. Then I could have a couple of different picture-tracks with different versions of the slides (eg thin lines or bold lines) and the viewer could click a button to seamless switch between which picture-track they're viewing as the audio and pointer presentation plays. Also they could switch between desired pointer shapes.

/// How do I accomplish this?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Although I'm not entirely sure what you want to do, tracking a cursor (or similar input) is possible with a bit of scripting in Flash Animate. But, for clarity:
The goal is to present my slides with recorded audio and realtime pointer that I draw on my ipad.
When you say that, do you mean realtime at the time of recording, or do you want to give a live presentation with recorded audio and live realtime pointer movement?

I've been recording my performance of the presentation using Keynote on an ipad with pencil. Then in After Effects I motion-track the red dot, apply that motion to a shape for the pointer, then on the original recording track disable the video but keep the audio, then drop in PNG images of the slides at each moment (frame) when they switch in the recording.
So do you already have slides in the Keynote presentation that you draw on and record? If so, what are you using motion tracking for?

I doubt this is actually the case, but it sounds like you:

isthisit.gif

Reactions: breakneckridge

breakneckridge

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018
Although I'm not entirely sure what you want to do, tracking a cursor (or similar input) is possible with a bit of scripting in Flash Animate. But, for clarity:

When you say that, do you mean realtime at the time of recording, or do you want to give a live presentation with recorded audio and live realtime pointer movement?

So do you already have slides in the Keynote presentation that you draw on and record? If so, what are you using motion tracking for?

I doubt this is actually the case, but it sounds like you:

View attachment 758811

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. There are two reasons:

1. It's not possible to record the presentation at good enough quality.

2. Keynote overlays it's tool pallet over the slide image.

Reactions: AngerDanger

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. There are two reasons:

1. It's not possible to record the presentation at good enough quality.

2. Keynote overlays it's tool pallet over the slide image.

That makes sense. Hmm, it's a tricky one… I'm going to have to think more about this.

Reactions: breakneckridge

haysoos123

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
I'm eager to hear ideas.
Have you considered using Screenflow for this? It's built to produce presentations like this. It records everything you do with your cursor, and you can even change the look of the cursor to a customized image if you want. I would just switch to using Keynote on the mac itself instead of iOS. You can create a Keynote on your iPad and then open it up and record the presentation on your computer. But there is actually an option to capture iOS from Screenflow... not sure how it handles the pencil and a cursor though, you'd have to test that out. There are also many options for output, even ProRes, so output quality is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.