Can I do programming in iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shiya, Nov 15, 2010.

1. shiya macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am a programmer who want to buy a mobile computing device to do web programming (web server(apache etc.), PHP, MYSQL, light weight image editor) and also iPhone app development while traveling (also at office). Please advise whether iPad can be a suitable option for me or not. If not, is there any other apple/non apple product for this requirement. Apple note book is a bit too larger for me to operate while in a public transport bus :).

Thanks

Shiya

2. Xil3 macrumors regular

No, I wouldn't recommend it - there are a few apps that would allow you to do it (to an extent), but you'd go insane after awhile. You just don't have the flexibility and/or speed as you would on a regular laptop.

It's meant as a media device - wouldn't recommend it as a development machine, unless it's to do some critical changes and you have nothing else available.

3. shiya thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Xil3, for the sincere and accurate reply. Many of my colleagues including the system admin is having the same opinion. The mobile devices could not offer the speed, comfort and flexibility of a laptop, even a mini with an atom processor can do my job, but the mobiles are mainly for the media.

Thanks a lot.

Shiya

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

the new macbook air would probably be good enough though?

5. Simonkey75 macrumors newbie

Simonkey75

I've heard positive things from coding friends re: the MacBook Air's. The under-powered processors seem to be more than compensated by the speed of the flash memory, and if the work Shiya is doing can be accomplished on an Atom-powered device, then the Air would be a great option, considering the 11.6" really doesn't take up that much more space than an iPad.

As Xil3 says, the iPad just isn't built for such purposes - not least because of the underwhelming RAM in these first-gen models.

The rate of progress of mobile devices, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if people are doing web and app development on them in a couple of years.

6. shiya thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Air starts at $999, while HP mini at $400. The price gap is too high. Features are almost same, I believe. Still the overhead of positioning it on your lap safely during travelling is doubtful. (I spend 3 hours daily in bus:))