Can I do this? (AT&T plan issue)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -YK, Oct 15, 2011.

1. -YK macrumors member

So basically, I'm on a family plan with my parents. The issue is that I do not live at home, and my mom, who is the account holder, is not anywhere close enough that she could come to the Apple store with me to get the 4S.

Here is what I want to do-

My dad's line is eligible for an upgrade, I used my upgrade when I got the Infuse 4G (which I then gave to him) so he told me I could use his upgrade for the 4S.

Here is my issue: If I go to the Apple store (by myself) will I be able to get them to use my dad's line upgrade for the 4S? Will there be any problems/should I go to the AT&T store instead?

My main concern is that they will not let me do it because the main account holder will not be with me, and if they will let me use the upgrade for the line that is not mine.

Please give me some insight!

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You mom can call and autorize you to make changes to the account. I did for my VP and he only need to give the five number pass code and they would do what ever you want.

3. azhagan macrumors member

You can have the primary account holder add your name as an authorized user. Once that is done you will be able to go in and make the appropriate changes.

However once you take your fathers upgrade, his phone will cease to work and he has to go in to get another sim card, and they will take care of you at the Apple Store with other questions.

4. -YK thread starter macrumors member

What exactly will cease to work? He doesn't have a data plan. He just uses it for texting/calls/games, anything else he just uses wifi.

And for adding myself as an authorized user, can I do that via the AT&T site?

edit- I made myself an authorized user. Now I'm just concerned with my dad's phone not working. Can I just tell them at the store that I'll be the one using the phone? Or will they not be cool with that.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You mom has to authorize you on her account. It usually takes a passcode.

When they activate your phone it will have your Dad's number on it and you will have to add a iPhone plan. His phone will cease working at that time as him SIM card will be deactivated.

6. -YK thread starter macrumors member

So there is a slim chance that I could just say I intend to use the phone for my number and they will still give me his upgrade?

7. reaganomics macrumors newbie

I was able to do this without the other line's sim card being deactivated. I did the upgrade swap at an AT&T store though.

8. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

You can add yourself as an authorized user online if you have the passcode to the account. Once this is done, you can do anything at a store (including the upgrade you're inquiring about) except adding a line.

Oh and you can do this without the other line (your dads) being deactivated. Just tell the store rep that you would like to use your dads upgrade eligibility to upgrade your line. It's fairly simple and you should have no problems.