Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I love the idea of Garageband... but I have no ambition or talent to record myself and my clarinet on Garageband.

What I would love to do is just plot notes in Garageband... but I can never find where to do this?

Is it not possible?

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
I have also wondered how this is possible also. Hopefully someone here will know. :)

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
You can "plot" notes in Garageband using one of Garageband's software instruments and your mouse or the keyboard.

Lesson 1:

Open a new song in Garageband. The Grand Piano Software instrument is created by default, ready and waiting.

If you want to type in notes using your computer's keyboard, select Window from the menu bar and chose Musical Typing. A new window will appear, overlapping the main Garageband window, showing which keys on the computer keyboard correspond to each note. Or, if you're more of a mouse person, you can choose Keyboard located in the same Window menu, and, similar to musical typing window, a music keyboard layout will appear where you can point and click the notes on the keyboard with your mouse.

Using your weapon of choice, press record and type, click, plot, and plunk away. Press the stop button when you're done - or when the cat runs out of the room, whichever comes first.

Lesson 2:

After your budding, soon-to-be-discovered masterpiece is recorded, unlikely as it may seem, you may want to "tweak" (as the pros say) what you have just typed (or clicked) by selecting the track and pressing the track edit button. There are two ways to edit: the graphic format which displays the notes as bar-shaped rectangles of various lengths where you select one (or more) notes and reposition it to a new starting point anywhere you want - go nuts! If you drag one up or down, you will hear the new note played that corresponds to where you are dragging. You can also change the length of any note by clicking and dragging the end of it's rectangle to make it longer or shorter. If you understand musical notation, the other way to edit is by notation view, where you can also select and drag notes around and also change their value by using standard musical notation. Select the musical note icon located in the bottom of the track editor window if you prefer this method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.