can I do this? Or how best to do this?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by CultHero, Aug 15, 2008.

1. CultHero macrumors 6502

so, I was thinking of getting a time capsule usb'd to a Apple TV to be my wireless backup between my two macs, and my media server for my apple TV.

After spending about 30 minutes at the Apple store, they convinced me that the Time Capsule was overkill unless I was going to use Time Capsule (which I am not).

Their recommendation was to get a 1tb drive that is firewired or USB'd to my iMac and move all my media on to that. Then point all new media to write to that drive instead of my iMac. This would free up space on my iMac.

My questions are:

will I be able to partion the external drive so that I can use part of it for backup of the iMac and Powerbook and the other part for media?

will I experience lag or delay streaming media through a wireless g network to the apple tv?

Basically I want to have a bigger drive than I have right now to store all my media and simplify my backup concerns.

2. TurboLag macrumors member

I have a similar setup. Two 1Tb drives are connected to a macMini via USB with all the media. iTunes in the macMini points to the media in the external drives. An appleTV is connected to the network via ethernet, and can stream HD flawlessly. I dont store any media on the appleTV.

I have experienced streaming HD over g, and it wasnt good. It would often hang every few minutes. For standard def material you should be fine.