Can I do this or will AT&T give me a problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by myfoneisdank, Jun 14, 2010.

1. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

Hey everybody,

I like many of you am completely obsessed with my iphone 3gs and will be pre-ordering the 4th generation (i'm thankfully upgrade eligible with a $18 fee).

I have an individual FAN # with my employer, allowing a discount on my monthly bill. I got my last two iphones from the ATT Store in the city where I work.

I've heard about the rumor shenanigans with the black iphone only and not being able to to pick up at ATT until the next day after release, and I want a white model since I've always had white iphones.

So, I do not want to deal with any aggravation with at home activation in keeping my unlimited data and having my FAN # disappearing like the horror stories I've heard on here.

Would I be able to pre-order from Apple.com tomorrow, have it shipped to me on launch day, the go directly to my ATT Store to have them activate it in store so that my FAN # and everything is all squared away?

It seems obvious that I could but people on here have been saying ATT only wants sales in their stores so they might give me the cold shoulder on launch if I bring my "own" iphone 4 into the store. (I'd probably put up a huge stink if they did but I just thought I'd ask all you very knowledgeable people on this board)

THANK YOU!

2. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

I would think so. Try it and see what happens tomorrow...

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you pre-order it through Apple.com, Apple will check with AT&T (during the ordering process) to see what you're eligible to buy the phone for, etc. During that process, you'll select your new plans, etc. Then you submit your pre-order.

If Apple has any problems accessing your account for any reason (FAN, CRU, etc), you won't be able to place the pre-order.

Once you receive the phone, it'll be in a half-activated state. You connect to iTunes, it'll ask AT&T to activate your phone, and you're good to go. Your contract stuff was all done prior, during the check-out part.

Apple had problems w/ accounts that had FANs during the initial 3G launch. They ironed the process out a few weeks later. There was no systematic issue with FAN account on the 3GS launch.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

To test if Apple will have issues ahead of time, try teh Apple upgrade check page. It's in the Upgrade Guide.

If you can use it to check eligibility, you're good. If not, you will most likely have issues.

5. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

Thanks for the links. This is a great way to make sure you won't have any issues on the 15th with pre orders. I have a FAN discount and it was able to pull everything up just fine.