iPad Pro Can I do this simple task on the iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by masands, Nov 11, 2015.

1. masands macrumors regular

Ok, so I'm contemplating whether or not the iPad Pro can replace my rMB. I need to know if it can perform this simple task.

1) I want to make a Youtube video with NASA's new space imagery. They are available on the web, total file size is 1.3gb and they are in a single .zip format.

2) I want to download the .zip file on my iPad. My internet is slow so I suspect it will take around 2 hours. Can Safari handle the download in the background while I work on other stuff on my iPad? Or should I use a 3rd party app? Can the 3rd party app download in the background?

3) I want to extract the image files. There should be around 23 images in the .zip file.

4) I've got some music on my computer. I need to get it on the iPad.

5) Finally, I want to be able to import all these to iMovie so I can begin work on my video.

Should be easy right?

2. thedon1 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure apps exist that allow you to uncompress zip files. You would then save those images into Photos so (presumably)iMovie can use them.

There's a couple of ways to get that song onto your iPad from the computer, that shouldn't be a problem.

I've not really used iMovie so not too sure about the final step.

3. rickshill macrumors member

Yes you can do it but it will be a pain....Apps can NOT download in the background. You should take a look at an App called good reader for file mamagment. IT is a $5 app but works great for what you want...then you can save the photos to the camera roll and edit in iMovie.

4. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

Well I've just gone and had a look at the NASA website, I've got fast wireless, but I'm flat out logging onto NASA with any of my iPads including the Pro.

I ended up using my computer with Ethernet cable to log on. While you can probably do all this stuff on the Pro, it ain't going to be easy. I wouldn't be getting rid of your rMB anytime soon. The Pro isn't that different from the other iPads except that its bigger and faster, but there's no file system and no mouse, so you'll need apps and patience.

5. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

No. See step 3. You cannot transfer music from your computer to your iPad if you have replaced your computer with an iPad.

Also no, see step 2. If your internet is stuck in the nineties, your computing habits will be too.

And finally no, just because you obviously want the answer to be no. These kind of trick threads are not new.

There's nothing great, or necessary about the steps you are purposely throwing up. It's all legacy. Who wants to be manually zipping and unzipping files when transfer protocols can use compression anyway? Storing music on you computer is also old-school. My music is just everywhere my devices are. Manually 'managing' all this stuff is just a hassle. Wouldn't it be better if a browser could just send a set of media direct to an editing app? That will be standard on iOS before its ever standard on a 'real OS'

6. Robstevo macrumors 6502

Lolz You sound bitter. The guy was asking valid questions. Just because it can't doesn't mean you have to get all upset and start accusing Him.

I also wouldn't call storing music on a correction computer "old school" literally everyone I know stores there music on the computer.