Can I do this to switch from Verizon to AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dotdotdot, Jul 19, 2008.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I am on a Verizon family plan, apparently I am the Primary phone which is odd since I'm under 18.

I have a year left on my contract, and the other person on my plan's contract expired already. She lost her phone and NEEDS one tomorrow. The AT&T store near me, obviously, is sold out of iPhones. But the Apple Store 40 minutes away has a lot of them. Since I want an iPhone, I am hoping to have us both switch to AT&T.

Would we be able to get her and myself free phones, with our numbers both ported to AT&T, with the Account Holder who is over 18 there, and then have me go by myself with the neccesary information to the Apple Store and buy an iPhone?

I think we would both need to switch at the same time, and since tomorrow seems to be the day we need to get her a phone, I'll need to go AT&T yet iPhone-less for a day. Would that be wise at all, or no?

2. jakeacc macrumors regular

You're asking us if you can get FREE iPhones? Umm.....absolutely not.:confused:

You both can switch to AT&T service, ge your numbers ported, and get iPhones. (if they are in stock) You and her will be eligible for the subsidized iPhone price of 199 for 8 GB or 299 for 16 GB. You however, will have to pay a $200-some cancellation fee to Verizon since you haven't fufilled your contract yet.

3. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

No, no, of course not free iPhones.

I'm saying that there are none in stock - I'd have to make two trips. I'm wondering if I would be able to, tomorrow morning, get a free AT&T phone, and then tomorrow night, at a totally different location - an Apple store - get an iPhone, put that instead of the phone I got that morning, exchange the first free phone, and end the day with an iPhone from AT&T. Would this be possible?

Also the under 18 part - would that matter if I went to the Apple Store with the neccesary information (if that's even needed) without the account holder or guardian there?

(And if Verizon still pro-rates, it would cost $115 to cancel the contract... not a big deal, I just won't be able to get the 16 GB iPhone)

4. TheShoop macrumors newbie

I went earlier today to my local Apple store with hopes of picking up an iPhone. Unfortunately, they will not let you do anything in regards to acquisition of the product if you are under 18. It is a month away from my birthday, but all the same, you have to have someone 18 or older there with you. Needless to say, my mother didn't much appreciate the phone call in which I frantically explained to her that she needed to get to the mall ASAP. After all was said and done, I walked away with my shiny new phone...loving it so far.

5. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

That stinks - guess I can't get an iPhone tomorrow (plus Apple.com reported an hour ago that the NYC 5th Ave store had 8 gb iPhones... I guess that's what sucks about 24/7 stores, they sell iPhones at 1 AM!)

But how about me getting a phone tomorrow from AT&T anyway? Can I do that and then switch to an iPhone next weekend?