can i do this via itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rick snagwell, Nov 5, 2013.

1. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

so lets say my MBA is in the bedroom, and my iMac is in another room.

the iMac contains movie files in itunes. i would like to play the movie on my MBA in my bedroom.

they are on the same wifi network.

???

2. netslacker macrumors 6502

Yes. Turn on Home Sharing and enter the same Apple ID into each. You can then share iTunes libraries.

3. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

For music, iTunes match is the way to go, but i don't believe they have that setup for movies.

you could always share the files btw macs. go to system prefs->sharing->and make sure "file sharing" is selected. then on your MBA find the location of your movie file on your iMac via your MBA's finder window.

if you have an hdtv in your bedroom then you should get an Apple TV. then its real easy to watch you movies via Airplay

4. Bear macrumors G3

All overkill for what rick snagwell asked for when Home Sharing works well.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Turning Home sharing on the iMac only should suffice if OP wants to play the movie on the MBA : the iMac iTunes Library will be accessible from the MBA.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Home Sharing requires setting up both Macs for it. Sharing the library on the local network is what you're thinking about and can have some issues with media that has DRM.