Can I do this will the TC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mattrsa, May 28, 2008.

1. mattrsa macrumors member

Ok so i have just moved into a new flat with 2 friends, and we are wanting to try set up some sort of music system so we can all share our music.

I have a mac book and the other two have mbp and a normal windows laptop.

I currently have all my music on an externals hard drive. Can I attached that to the TC capsule and then let everyone see and stream music off of it?

if that is not the case I also have a WD NAS drive, could I simply attached that to the router and then stream the music off there with Itunes?

Thanks in advance

Matt

2. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I know it's perhaps not exactly what you wanted but within iTunes you can share music among a local network.

Go into the preferences and click on "Sharing", then check "Look for shared libraries" and "Share my library" - then anyone connected to your network will be able to stream your music on their computer through iTunes as long as yours is turned on (not sure if iTunes has to be open as well tho')

3. mheidt macrumors member

TC is not an iTunes Server.
    Therefore it won't stream.

My Synology NAS is an iTunes Server, which at least streams the music.
    So maybe your NAS is the better choise as well.

When it comes to "sharing":
    You might put your iTunes directory to the TC.
    But don't let your friend hook to it as well.
    He can use the finder to copy the desired file to his iTunes directory instead.

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

But i run music off my TC just fine from any machine. So what is the issue? :confused:

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

Just make sure the drive is accessible to all. You'll have to manually add the music to each library, but it will work.
    If your roommate adds music to the folder, you will have to manually add that new music into your iTunes.

In the iTunes configuration, if you set up the library location to a shared drive, and iTunes doesn't see that drive when it starts (it only looks for it once) , it will set itself back to the default (music/itunes/my music in your user folder). To avoid this make an alias to the network folder called "my music" in the iTunes folder. and it will forward automatically. (this is for mac, it might work for your sad backwards windows friend but I'm not sure)

and it's not really streaming, just a network file share, which is what may be confusing some people.