Can I do this with Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cvam1985, Nov 13, 2011.

1. cvam1985 macrumors regular

I've got an 04 Avalon. It's got a tape deck and CD player, but no aux input or Bluetooth.

It does, however, have a standard 120v house-like outlet.

Could I get an Airport express, plug it into the jack, and plug one of those cassette things with a 3.5 jack to it and stream iPhone wirelessly to it via Airplay?

If so, does anyone think it'd be cheaper and easier to install an aux jack instead?

2. steve217, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

steve217 macrumors regular

steve217

If the question is would the audio out jack play to a cassette adapter, it should work.

From the APE product site section on interfaces: "3.5-mm audio minijack for analog or optical digital sound".

** Edit **
    Sorry, cvam, it didn't click what a "04 Avalon" was! I thought it was some old all-in-one cabinet style audio player. "Dude - it's a Toyota!"

So instead of plugging the cable from the cassette adapter to the iPhone, you want to run the the cable to an APE? I'm not seeing the advantage here. You're still fiddling with phone to select playlists, etc, plus the added hassle of starting the car and hauling your Macbook out to the car to troubleshoot.

Try it only if you need an Airport Express in the house.

3. cvam1985 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - that's one question. I guess to be more clear.... Can I do it on the go in a car though? Will the airport express create the needed wifi network to Airplay while in a car with no ethernet/internet access?

4. hafr macrumors 68030

Really? You can't think of an easier way to connect your iPhone to your car's stereo? Even if you have the oldest and crappiest system out there, a cassette tape adaptor should do the trick.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

i am so confused? Yes you need wifi

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To answer this part of your question, yes, you can use the AirPort Express to create a wireless network and play AirTunes, without having an internet connection. Whether what you're trying to accomplish with the car is a good idea or not, that's another matter.

7. cvam1985 thread starter macrumors regular

Well as surprising as it may sound, I think it'd be more convenient to play music without a wire tethered to the tape deck. Especially since I keep my iPhone in a bumper, which only works with Apple headphones.

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

You could get an FM transmitter that plugs into your iPhone's dock. I would think that would be an easier solution. Plus it gives you the added benefit of charging your phone while listening to it.

9. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

An Express would also allow the OP to charge the phone while using it and not be using the headphone jack as well.

OP: You can get an Express for around 50 bucks on eBay.