Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
UK
I am on a 2 year iphone 4 contract with vodafone (UK). my contract expires july 2012 ....

Obviously I'd have to pay ridiculous amount of money to upgrade to iphone 5 when it comes out .. i was wondering .. my dad's contract runs out soon .. if i tell him to get iphone 5 with vodafone .. could i just put my sim in it and use it and give my iphone 4 to him .. would it work?

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I am on a 2 year iphone 4 contract with vodafone (UK). my contract expires july 2012 ....

Obviously I'd have to pay ridiculous amount of money to upgrade to iphone 5 when it comes out .. i was wondering .. my dad's contract runs out soon .. if i tell him to get iphone 5 with vodafone .. could i just put my sim in it and use it and give my iphone 4 to him .. would it work?

I don't know how they handle things over in Europe. But in America with AT&T they let you use another lines upgrade for your own line no questions asked. So say your wife had an upgrade, but she did not want a new phone. You could just simply tell the sales representative to use her available upgrade on your line.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Should work just fine.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008

Yeah, you wouldn't have any trouble with it. Any phone locked to a network (e.g. Vodafone) will accept any SIM that's registered to said network.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
You will have no problem at all doing this. Now you just have to convince you're dad to give to his upgrade to you :D

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
UK
He's already game for it ... thanks a lot guys .... so i guess i'll be getting the new iphone 5 sooon ... woot woot! and then next year when my contract runs out .. i get iphone 6 .. then year after that i get him to get iphone 7 and i take that and give him my iphone 6 ... and so on .. new iphone every year .. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.