Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

demonx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Can I hook my iBook to my PC ia Firewire or USB and have them pick up eachother so I can just drag and drop files from one to another?

Just curious, as I don't have a usb or firewire connector around to try it, and don't want to buy one unless its going to work:p

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
As far as I know you can't, there *may* be specific software that you can buy that would enable you to do this.
What you can do is use an ethenet cross-over cable and just hook the two together that way.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
ethernet and crossover would probably be the easiest, as edesignuk said.

There is that piece of software Switch to mac or something, so it is definitely possible.

I know that you can do it with two macs, so if you have a sift round Apple's support site they might say how to do that, and if it uses the network protocols it should.

Good luck

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
No Crossover needed....

Originally posted by edesignuk
As far as I know you can't, there *may* be specific software that you can buy that would enable you to do this.
What you can do is use an ethenet cross-over cable and just hook the two together that way.

I can't vouch for whether or not connecting a PC to a Mac directly with an ethernet cable will work or not, but I am pretty sure that you don't need a crossover cable to do it. I know that with Quicksilver G4's and newer, you don't need a crossover cable. Anyone will work as the ethernet card itself will adapt and emmulate the crossover for you. I'm not 100% sure about the iBooks though. What version iBook do you have?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Just get a crossover cable

I got a crossover cable for like ten bucks, the networking stuff is built into both os's and they link up fine. The networking is really simple with the mac you jsut hit go connect to server and it will see the windows netowrk
On the Pc all you need to do it hit run //macip/username and it will load your mac's home folder into a window
The netowrking is really simple, this forum got me through it all ( thank you) , especially with the modern os's .

demonx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Thanks guys
I found the remote desktop connection program for Mac. So now I can just use that to take over my main box from work, school, etc etc.

Now if anyone is a network guru, can they tell me how to possibly connect to my box when Im at work. I can easily do this at home when im on the local network.

But since "my box" is upstairs at home, and does not directly connect to the net(the family downstairs computer has the connection) im not sure how I would go about connecting to it. Since I can't use its local address from the net hmmm:(

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
there is no need for a crossover cable on iBooks either. My iBook detects whether it needs to soft-cross or not.

Also, theres no reason you cant use a firewire cable to get your data. Just boot your iBook into target disk mode and drop the files where you want.

I believe that the shortcut on boot is cmd+f

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Can I do this

Originally posted by demonx
Can I hook my iBook to my PC ia Firewire or USB and have them pick up eachother so I can just drag and drop files from one to another?

Just curious, as I don't have a usb or firewire connector around to try it, and don't want to buy one unless its going to work:p

that should be easy...in the mac i think theres
an option for sharing window file shariing.

turn that on and on the pc, hmmm not sure.
go into the control panels and see if you can
turn on file sharing....maybe in network controls.

we use to use a dell and a pc for our server at
an ad agency..it worked fine. i just dont know
it the pc needs special software...its only file sharing

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by sparkleytone

Also, theres no reason you cant use a firewire cable to get your data. Just boot your iBook into target disk mode and drop the files where you want.
He could do this if it was Mac to Mac, but he wants to transfer Mac to PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.