Can I do this???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by USMCSSGT, Jul 16, 2008.

1. USMCSSGT macrumors member

USMCSSGT

I have an 8gb 1st gen. iPhone. Can I take the SIM out, sell the phone on EBay, and pop the SIM in a brand new 3G iPhone, and be working normally? I don't mind starting another two-year contract, but I don't wanna pay another $200 for the 3G and not be able to do anything with my current iPhone.

Thanks.

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

according to AT&T the current one will still function the same way, minus the phone and EDGE parts. you will still have WiFi, music, apps, everything. and you can still install 2.0 and sync apps and everything. so if someone wants to buy it then no problem. and you dont need to take the sim card out so if someone wants to buy it they can activate it on itunes and it will give them new data and everything

3. USMCSSGT thread starter macrumors member

USMCSSGT

And then I can buy the 3G, activate it, and have the same phone number and everything? What if the buyer doesn't activate it? Will I not be able to activate the 3G and have my same phone number?

Thanks.

4. PDACPA macrumors regular

PDACPA

Not sure if this answers your question, but here is what I did.

I had a Razor with a 3G sim card and two other phones on my plan that were non-3g sim cards. The phone with the 3g sim was mine and that was the one I wanted the iphone on, but it was not eligible for an upgrade. I went to Apple bought one at upgrade pricing on the other number.

Left the store, swapped the sim with my 3g razor. Razor worked fine with the sim from the new iphone and the iphone worked fine with the old 3g sim from the razor (which had my number).

Called At&t to take the data plan off the phone i activated with the new iphone and switched it to my phone. AT&T had an internal issue with this, but everything works perfect.

5. ElecEagle macrumors member

Once you purchase the new 3G, they will activate it for you at the store (requiring a 2 yr contract) using the sim card out of your existing iPhone. You can, then, sell your 1st gen iPhone on eBay -or wherever- without the sim card --- you should never sell your sim card with the phone. The buyer will need to go to AT&T and purchase a new sim card (~$10) so that they can activate their iPhone.

6. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Sorry to hijack your thread but, if you purchase a Gen 1 iphone do you still have to sign up for a 2 year agreement? Seems stupid to have to sign up for a 2 year agreement when you own the phone outright.

7. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yes you do, its a whole new contract. and you dont own the phone outright. its part of the contract that allows u to get it for 199

8. USMCSSGT thread starter macrumors member

USMCSSGT

He was talking about the 1st gen phones, not the 3G.

I think you can buy it from someone and activate it without having the contract, but I'm not sure. You would think you could since the original buyer bought it new with the two-year contract.

9. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Yes, I was talking about the 1st gen iphone, not the 3G. I spoke with customer service at AT&T and they said you have to sign a new 2 year agreement to activate it, which makes no sense to me. But, I could probably call back and get a different customer service rep and they would tell me something different...who knows?

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

ahh sorry. and yeah you probably could get a different response. the at&t people are really stupid

11. showtime macrumors 6502

You still have to activate it on a 2 year contract. The contract isn't for obtaining the iphone but for service on the phone.