Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takufu01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
HI everyone....I am thinking of adding a additional line to my current family plan and making it a Iphone GS.....once I receive the phone and activate it I want to exchange phone number with another phone I have on that account....the phone I want to swap numbers with is not eligible for an upgrade.....a friend told me he did something similar with Verizon.....any info would be appreciated.....thanks!

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Just do the upgrade, and then swap the sim cards. Problem solved. :)

This doesn't work since the data plan would be attached to the sim card that would be removed from the iPhone.

The only way to do what you want, and it is possible, is to activate the iPhone on a line that is eligible for upgrade (or a new line in this case) and then go into an ATT store (or call customer support) and have the phone numbers switched. It's been done a lot of times.

takufu01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Got it Done

Hi everyone....just wanted to post an update....I went to ATT store yesterday and the Asst Mgr. was great!....she activated the IPhone GS on a additional line so I got the $199.00 price for the GS and then just cancelled every other feature on that line including the data package....she then let me switch the phone number with one of the existing lines on my family plan which has a data plan....so.. long story short....I was able to get a GS for my son at the $199.00 price and we have back up phone for $9.99 a month....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.