can i downgrade 3g 4.0.2 to 3.2.2

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by katie6583, Aug 24, 2010.

1. katie6583 macrumors newbie

i really need help, i have just got an iphone 3g 16gig, had it jailbroken & unlocked! updated it not knowing it would block my phone! managed to get it back running on 02 but now it is running on 4.0.2 and is really slow, cant cope with it!!!! had it jailbroken again and unlocked, can i downgrade it to 3.2.2 and if so HOW??? and will it block my phone again or loose my unlock??? it was jailbroken with cydia!!! please help i dont know the first thing about iphones or software or anything!!!xxxxxxx

2. katie6583 thread starter macrumors newbie

please please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

First of all, start reading through all the older posts in the hacks subsection. Keep trudging through; the information is there.
    Second, don't ever update your phone without reading to see what'll happen to your phone.

4. katie6583 thread starter macrumors newbie

i know that now but unfortunatly too late!!! just want it to work not at snails pace!!!

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you want to use jailbreak, you need to understand how to use it. This keeps you from making mistakes like upgrading without knowing the consequences. Also, this'll keep you from making dumb posts in the future.
    If it makes you feel any better, your 3G will allow you to downgrade. Just be glad you don't have a 3GS or 4. You'd be SOL then.
    Keep looking through the iphone hacks subforum.

6. Resist macrumors 68030

Wish I had followed that advice prior to updating my iPhone 3G with the iOS4 update. I just figured that since Apple said it would work....it would work. Who knew that they would lie to us? But now I know better and will never update prior to reading the real life reviews first.

Honestly though, I think Apple knew iOS4 would run sluggish on the iPhone 3G. I mean, how could they not know with all the testing they claim to do? Seems like Apple just wanted to push iPhone 3G users over the edge so we would buy the iPhone 4. Well some of us can't afford to upgrade our phones every few years!

7. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Well since you didn't know, Apple hates the jailbreak community and is constantly in a cat-and-mouse game with us. In the future, read before you download.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Technically, iOS4 does run on the 3G; it just doesn't run very well. Besides, if Apple had said that 3G users didn't have access to iOS 4 back when they introduced it, you'd have heard all those people bitch constantly.
    You're probably right that Apple is trying to force an upgrade.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no firmware 3.2.2 for the iPhone.
    Before 4.0 was 3.1.3
    Yes you can downgrade a 3G to that.

10. Resist macrumors 68030

Then Apple should have said it runs, just not well on the iPhone 3G and we suggest not upgrading to this platform. In fact it was Steve Jobs himself that said they wanted to make sure their customers were happy with the iOS4 experience and knew they couldn't make them happy if the first gen iPhone got the upgrade, so it didn't. Yet somehow they felt iOS4 on the iPhone 3G was good to go...seriously?

Better yet Apple just needs to stop upgrading their hardware and software so fast. Do longer testing before releasing them, so the customers don't have to be the beta testers. If they released products designed correctly from the start, then they wouldn't have to keep changing things so often.

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Apple does a major update once a year. That's not that fast. All the other releases are security patches and other things like that.
    I also don't think Apple releases phone hardware that often. If you're on a standard, two year, subsidized contract and upgrade every two years, it's not expensive to buy. You only need to save either $5/month or $10/month, depending on which capacity you want.
    I've never heard of a big company that's released perfectly coded software.
    If Jobs said, we're releasing iOS 4 for 3G, 3GS and iphone 4 but we don't suggest 3G users upgrade, you know that people would pitch a fit. There are some people who can live with the slowdown that iOS 4 brings to the 3G and others who feel the advantages outweigh the negatives. Like I said, 3G can run iOS 4, but it doesn't run it as well as we're normally used to. When I had the 3G, I was tempted to keep iOS 4 because I really liked the ibooks app. However, when I got my iPhone 4, I downgraded and unlocked the 3G for the person who was buying it from me.

12. Bodycalming macrumors member

Bodycalming

I downgraded my unlocked and not Jailbroken 3G iPhone from this link on lifehacker. Note you should follow the instructions very carefully, it worked just fine for me.

http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g[s]-from-ios-4-to-ios-313