Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Hi,

I installed Mountain Lion about a month ago, and i've had the worst experience with a mac ever (worse than vista) and i've had my iMac well over a year. Constant problems including freezes every 15mins or so. Is there i way i can downgrade back to Lion and keep all my programmes as if i was upgrading my OS? I don't want to have to do a clean Lion install.

Thanks!

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Did you do a backup before installing ML? If so revert to that.

Is it possible to install Lion over Mountain Lion so i keep absolutely everything i have at the moment as my backup has most of it, but not everything?

Thanks

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Hi,

I installed Mountain Lion about a month ago, and i've had the worst experience with a mac ever (worse than vista) and i've had my iMac well over a year. Constant problems including freezes every 15mins or so. Is there i way i can downgrade back to Lion and keep all my programmes as if i was upgrading my OS? I don't want to have to do a clean Lion install.

Thanks!

You problems are likely elsewhere. I was happy to move off of Lion because it always felt half-baked. I think you're jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire on this one. I can't think of one thing the Lion is better than Mountain Lion on other than creating annoyances.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
You problems are likely elsewhere. I was happy to move off of Lion because it always felt half-baked. I think you're jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire on this one. I can't think of one thing the Lion is better than Mountain Lion on other than creating annoyances.

Lion was flawless for me, Mountain Lion on the other hand is absolutely (enter swear word) i hate it more than windows!!!!

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
The short answer is no you can't downgrade to Lion if you are on Mountain Lion (ML). However your experience of freezing is not a normal occurrence for Mountain Lion. It sounds like you either have a problematic installation of ML, or have a conflict with something on your system. ML is a much more polished version of Mac OS X, than Lion.

I assume you have done the normal steps of checking that your hard disk is ok in disk utilities and repairing permissions.

If it was my computer I would make sure all my documents, music, email (if using PoP), and movies were backed up. Reformat the hard disk and then reinstall Mountain Lion. Reinstall your applications, then move all of your files and documents back from your backup.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
The short answer is no you can't downgrade to Lion if you are on Mountain Lion (ML). However your experience of freezing is not a normal occurrence for Mountain Lion. It sounds like you either have a problematic installation of ML, or have a conflict with something on your system. ML is a much more polished version of Mac OS X, than Lion.

I assume you have done the normal steps of checking that your hard disk is ok in disk utilities and repairing permissions.

If it was my computer I would make sure all my documents, music, email (if using PoP), and movies were backed up. Reformat the hard disk and then reinstall Mountain Lion. Reinstall your applications, then move all of your files and documents back from your backup.

What if I want to downgrade to Snow Leapord ? I have the CD that comes with the computer.So what will happen when ı install that CD ?

Thnx.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

If ones computer shipped with an earlier version of OSX, you can ALWAYS downgrade to that version and any version after that

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
If ones computer shipped with an earlier version of OSX, you can ALWAYS downgrade to that version and any version after that

Well yes, clearly you can reinstall the original OS if you have access to the original media, but that is not what the OP was asking. He wanted to revert back to Lion without having to reinstall everything again (downgrading as he put it). I was answering the OP's original question rather than making a general statement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.