Can I downgrade iTunes back to 10.5?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Manic Harmonic, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

I absolutely hate it. The main issue is that before, I could drag songs from my server library directly to mine via the iTunes interface. I can just drag them from the network drive obviously, but it's extremely annoying, especially when I'm going by album or compilation rather than artist. I also can't make playlists from the server's music. If I can't I guess I'll have to go back to snow leopard and then update to lion without updating iTunes.

Is this possible at all? I can't find a download of it anywhere.

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Hi. I assume it's iTunes 10.6 that you hate, and you want to go back to iTunes 10.5? Due to 10.6's crashes and hangs, I did just that. Worked fine for me, under OS X 10.6.8 -- not sure if Lion would somehow change anything.

You should be able to get your old version of iTunes.app from your backups. It helps if you know when you upgraded it. You can also download iTunes 10.5.3 from this Apple page: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1426?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US. That's what I did.

Note that you have to change the permissions on your current iTunes.app in order to delete or move it. Also, now that you've opened your iTunes library with iTunes 10.6, 10.5 won't use it. Thus, I restored my entire iTunes library from the day before I made the ill-fated upgrade to 10.6.

I wrote instructions for someone else in this thread:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/17906595#17906595

Hope that helps.

3. ToTo Man macrumors regular

I've just bought a refurb'd 2010 Mac Mini and want to update from iTunes 10.0 to 10.5. Can someone please direct me to a (safe) download site for iTunes 10.5? (the above link seems to be a 10.6.1 download??).

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Its difficult to find, maybe you can ask a friend who has an old mac, otherwise i am afraid torrents are the only way to get it.

5. ToTo Man macrumors regular

I have iTunes 10.4.1 on my MacBook Air. Could I just copy it from the Applications folder of my Air over to the Applications folder of the Mini, or do I need a proper installer?

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Its worth a try, you should duplicate it and copy over the duplicate (in case it doesn't work). And report back please i am curious if it works. :)

7. ToTo Man macrumors regular

It didn't. :( Error message reads "This copy of iTunes is corrupted or not installed properly. Please re-install."

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

darn sorry to hear, well than i think you might be out of luck, i can't find anything anywhere and i searched for quite a bit. good luck though :)

9. ToTo Man macrumors regular

no worries, thanks for looking anyway :)