Can I downgrade my Iphone to a Touch Safetly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dorfdad, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

Sounds weird I know, but my im in the market for upgrading my Iphone to a 3G model 16gig this holiday season, and I had a great Idea to give my mint conditioned 8gb 2G to my son but disable all the phone stuff so it's becomes an Itouch.

Im concerned about making sure the phone parts are OFF and not going to effect my son if he uses it (radiation concern with children).

My second chose would be to sell my Jailbroke Edge on Ebay and buy him an Itouch 8gb 2nd gen and use whatever extra to get an 3G iphone.

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

How old is your son if you don't mind me asking?

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    :rolleyes: I think even if your iPhone had the phone capabilities, it wouldn't do any harm to your son. But I'm no expert. ;)

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Thats what I was getting at. Unless your son is an infant There is no concern.

5. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Just put the iPhone in Airplane Mode and you should be all set. This should also provide much better battery life. You can even re-enable WiFi after you turn on Airplane Mode.

6. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

If you just take out the SIM, unless he elects to get another, the phone will be disabled.

Don't forget however that WiFi is also EMR, operating in the 2.4GHz range.

The wattage of WiFi is limited under law. Outside the US (EU guidelines) the amount of energy absorbed into the body in the WiFi spectrum cannot exceed two watts per kilogram when averaged over any 10 grams of tissue.

The maximum signal strength thus next to the router or computer transmitter alowable is 20 dBm (100 mW). The power level falls off very rapidly beyond a few cms from the transmission points (distance x cube-root).

However when WiFi is transmiting and your are holding your iPhone in your hand or resting iy on your lap that part of the body is exposed to comparable energy to that from a active mobile phone.

( I think, on balance, the data of the effects of EMR exposure to health is over stated, when compared to other environmental factors (pollution, sun exposure etc), though this is jut my opinion)

Obviously you could put the phone in 'airplane mode', though it can't be locked there.

+++++
    Sorry re typos, I'm typing on my iPhone on a train. (How I usually read 'macrumors.com')

7. moel macrumors 6502

I don't mean to be rude...but you need to lay off the wacky backy

the iPhone isn't ever going to emit radiation thats going to cause fist sized tumours to pop up on your sons brain. The EM radiation bombarding the earth from space is millions of times stronger.

My advice to you is take off the tin foil hat and don't worry about it. I give you full permission to sue me for the entirety of my family's estate and any organs your son may need can be removed from me (even if they are singular items that mean i will die) in the event of an iphone with no simcard giving your child some cellular degenerative ilness

8. Inukami macrumors 6502

9. john0394 macrumors newbie

If it's used as a Touch, there would be no need to put it next to or near his head. So the radiation should not be a concern. Besides, I've heard that Bisphenol A (BPA), which is found in many plastics including food containers, counteracts the effects of cell phone radiation.

10. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

some good and some bad comments, but yes my son is 6 years old so hes not an infant. I was thinking it would be a good way for a few games, and his cartoons on it so when we travel he has a tv, music and games system in one.. that is until he loses it...

Being 6 I was worried about it..

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I think you (and Him) will be fine.

12. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

If you're really worried just take the sim out. My 4 year old gets hold my iPhone when ever he has chance. He knows how to find, open and use about 5 Apps on it. (scary)

13. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

I know the feeling! Kinda worried its a big item to give a child of 6 a freaking Itouch or Iphone.. Ill remove the SIM and get a 3G for myself.. Now a dumb question. Can I put the apps we buy on both!? or are they limited to ONE I-device? Since Itunes can connect a few i-devices to the database?

14. Polymira macrumors regular

Here you go,

Weather you are running Windows or OS X, you can download Pwnage tool: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/50888951/redmond-we-have-a-pwnapple <--latest release

Run the application and follow the instructions. Make sure to jailbreak, and activate it (the iPhone will then think it's been activated, and allow you to use it for all non phone functions).

Your iPhone is now ALMOST an iPod Touch, but at this point it still has the phone and sms applications. If you'd like to hide those as well, run the Cydia program which should be on the phone now and install "Poof". Once you run Poof, you can hide any applications from the home screen you'd like (Stocks, SMS, Phone, iTunes Store, etc).

Hope that was helpful!

15. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I did the same thing. Upgraded to the 3G and gave my 1st gen iPhone to my kids. They are 5 and 8. They really like bugdom 2, Moto racer, dizzy bee, and bejeweled 2. If you use the same iTunes account you can download any apps you bought to both phones.

16. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

I believe the apps are linked to an iTunes account rather that the device it self, so you should be able to put them on both.

However syncing a different set of Apps on two devices will be a issue with with out logging on to your computer with different computer accounts .

17. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the info, I will just use my account for the time being. Dont wont him going on Itunes and buying up a storm without my permission!!

18. snook911 macrumors 6502a

This is not really an issue. Just make sure it does not sync automaticly when connected then you can go to apps and manually check only the apps you want to sync with each phone. I sync a whole different set of everything with my 1st gen and it works great.

19. cubedweller macrumors 6502

20. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

My 3G has a volume-limit function in Settings - I assume the original iPhone did as well. Problem solved. :)

21. CB45 macrumors newbie

If you really want an iPod Touch I have a Mint 16g I can trade. I can jailbreak it and load it with any songs or games from the app store that you want.

22. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Ha good luck. I did that, I traded my 16gb 1st gen iPod touch to some guy off craigslist for an iPhone 3G. :D

23. CB45 macrumors newbie

Damn.. for a 3G?? now thats Luck!!

24. stoich macrumors member

Solution

Sell your Iphone on craigslist for 350-400 dollars which is what you will get out of it.

Turn around and upgrade if you are using at&t if you want the 8gb its 200 for 16gb its 300

which means you will be left with 50-100 dollars leftover.

Use that money and buy your son a freaking Ipod nano (he should feel spoiled with that) and give it to him for christmas. Problem solved with the phone and he gets a awesome Gift for the holidays! :) good luck!

25. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

+1