Can I Downgrade to iOS 7 and Keep my Backup?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by GoCoogs, Jul 28, 2014.

1. GoCoogs macrumors newbie

Before I do this, i was wondering if its possible.

My issue is when i updated to Beta 4, my iCloud will not fully restore, it gets stuck saying its recovering but its been like that the past 3 days and nothing will happen. I can't get any of my picutres, but i get most of my apps back. But i'm sure its all there on my iCloud, it's just an issue with the OS.

I remember i tried before when i backed up manually to my computer, when i downgraded it said that my backup was too new, and it wouldn't work. My question is will i run into the same issue via icloud backup? I want to downgrade in order to get all my photos back, and then go back and load the beta again.

2. NodheadSoftware macrumors newbie

NodheadSoftware

It sounds like you made your backup after installing iOS 8 right?
    That could cause iOS 7 to refuse this backup, because it could be that the newer OS stores things differently...

I would try this:

1. Download a fresh copy of the latest beta and reinstall that and see if it works.
    2. Google for "iphone backup extractor" and pull your photos from the backup.

I can not recommend any software for that because i didn't use one.

Hope this helps,
    Christian

3. GoCoogs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

my only issue with that, is that my backup is only on my iCloud, not my computer. It looks like backup extractor uses only the computer backups :/

4. NodheadSoftware macrumors newbie

NodheadSoftware

Please, but it doesn't look good...

Look at the Devices tab within iTunes preferences maybe your lucky and have a left over backup.
    Also look at this folder
    ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

There could be a backup iTunes forgot about.

5. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

You can use a program called iTools to extract things from a backup and reimport them on to a new device.

6. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

You can restore your iOS 8 iPhone to your iCloud backup and then back it up to the computer with iTunes. Otherwise, sorry to say, you're a wee bit screwed.