can i downgrade?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by xpaulinax, Oct 24, 2013.

1. xpaulinax macrumors member

i just bought a new macbook pro 15" yesterday (the last one in the store, lucky me) and i installed the hard drive that was on my old macbook and put it on this one, and bc it had snow leopard on it i was forced to upgrade to mavericks to get it to work on my new macbook.

well mavericks sucks. I'm having so many bugs. safari wants to crash every single time i open it. my plugins don't work and i can't open tabs or new windows in safari. i hate most of the features except being able to open tabs in finder.

but is it possible to downgrade back to mountain lion? would it work ok?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I'm hoping somebody with far more knowledge of this than me can chime in, but I think your issues could be from the old OS X installation. If all you did is transfer the install from one system to another, there could be bugs that have surfaced due to the change in hardware.

4. Bear macrumors G3

You may be on to something. Migration Assistant should've been used to transfer the data from the old drive to the new system.

5. xpaulinax thread starter macrumors member

idk, when i bought it the technicians there told me that i could take out my old HDD from my 08 macbook and put it on this one no problem.

and its not the new new one. its a 2012 macbook pro that had mountain lion on it in the first place but i took out that hard drive...

6. mfvisuals macrumors regular

mfvisuals

That can sometimes work, but usually does not. It's probably trying to use drivers for the hardware in that other Mac.

I would wipe the drive, reinstall Mavericks and restore from a Time Machine backup if you have it.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

With Mac OS X it is completely fine to clone a system or switch a hard drive so long as the source OS version is greater than the original shipping OS version required for the target machine. Doing so presents no problems to the end user because of how Mac OS X structures itself. In summation, that is not the cause of your problems.

8. xpaulinax thread starter macrumors member

is it possible to reinstall mavericks without reformatting my hard drive?

that sounds way too time consuming. i wonder if this is a bug they will fix soon. bc I'm really just having problems in safari.

9. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Below, I quoted Intell's response that seems to negate what both of us are thinking. It seems to me like Migration Assistant is the best route for moving data to a different system, in any case.

Duly noted. I had a sneaking suspicion this was the case, but now I know for sure. Thanks for the info!

Gotcha. Two things- first off, I have the same MBP model as you do, and Mavericks works very well for me. The only thing I can think of is to put the old hard drive back in your old MacBook, put the new one back in the new MacBook, do a fresh install of Mavericks on your new one, and then manually move over the data that you need. I'm not familiar enough with Migration Assistant to recommend it in your case, but again, somebody that knows more about it than I do will hopefully be of more help.

The reason why I recommend using the new hard drive in the new MacBook has nothing to do with whether or not you can use the old one- Intell has established that you can do that. But this point, your old hard drive is already five years old. Though it may still have a lot of life in it, it's hard to be sure. By using the new hard drive, you're giving yourself more time before a potential hard drive failure.

10. xpaulinax, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

xpaulinax thread starter macrumors member

its actually a brand new hard drive. its only a few months old and a whole terabyte - thats why id rather use it than the one that came with the new macbook pro.

im not sure migration assistant will work.

let me just clarify:

i had an old macbook and i had bought a new hard drive for it a couple months ago and i was running snow leopard. then i updated it to mavericks so it would work on my new macbook pro. so after i updated the operating system so it would work, i took out the hard drive and put it in my new computer.

see what I'm saying?

im not sure its a hardware problem. I'm only having issues with safari.

11. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

I don't know what is your reason, but why do want to stick with snow leopard? Mountain Lion is pretty stable than Snow Leopard. So I guess you have a better chance of installing a mountain Lion on your new macbook pro more than snow leopard...

12. xpaulinax thread starter macrumors member

actually, this appears to be a common problem after searching apple forums.

i think the extensions i have are causing my safari issues.

cause i have glims, and it told me to update it, but whenever i try to update it it gives me an error message saying:

"The package Glims cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer"

and then it says:

Glims is on the disk image...something like that...

so it won't let me update it. but idk how to uninstall it and then reinstall it...

and this guy i saw posted on apple forums was having the same issues I'm having which is not being able to open tabs in safari, but apparently updating the extensions fixed his problem but it won't let me update.

13. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

I don't know how you run into so many problems. Mavericks runs quite beautifully on my 2012 MacBook Air, 2011 Mac Mini and even on 2 of my Hackintosh systems.

The "The package Glims cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer" thing is because by default, OS X will only run apps from Apps Store or trusted source. You need enable from all sources.

14. xpaulinax thread starter macrumors member

how do i enable it?

15. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

System Preference -> Security & Privacy -> Allow Apps from: Anywhere.

16. xpaulinax thread starter macrumors member

thank you all!

i figured it out, and that seems to have solved the issues i was having. yay.

17. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

It is possible... You could partitioning your drive into 2 partitions, then you can download the Mavericks and choose one of your partition. Or you could create a bootable USB installer, then install it to other partition.

18. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

Perhaps worth mentioning that it is possible to allow Apps on a case by case basis:
    In Finder, Control-click or right click the icon of the app.
    Select Open from the top of contextual menu that appears.
    Click Open in the dialog box. If prompted, enter an administrator name and password.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290