Can I download 1080p films from itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keysersoze311, Mar 11, 2009.

1. keysersoze311 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Basically, I am considering buying one of the new macbooks, and I'm torn between the 15 inch and the 17 inch.

One advantage of the 17 inch is that it has a "full HD" screen, so I would be able to view 1080p films in all their glory.

But, the 17 inch doesn't have a blu-ray drive, and as far as I can make out, itunes don't offer 1080p downloads, although you can watch 1080p trailers on Apple's website.

I'm in the UK, and on the itunes store, and next to certain movies, it says "available in HD with Apple TV", which I understand is a separate box that plugs into your tv.

It didn't seem to offer a HD download however direct off itunes to my computer though.

I then phoned up Apple, and spoke to one guy, who didn't seem to know what he was talking about, and said "yeh, you can definitely download full 1080p HD films, but it all depends on the resolution of your screen".

Not convinced, I phoned Apple again, and this time spoke to another guy, who seemed slightly more clued up, but still not particularly convincing. He said at first that I could download full 1080p HD, then he changed his mind and started saying, "no, you can download 720p films direct to your computer though, definitely". He explained that 1080p films would be such big files that it wasn't possible, which is what I expected.

But as far as I can make out, the itunes store doesn't offer 720p films, only through apple tv.

All the films on itunes are around 1GB in size, and there is no clickable option to "buy in HD", just a line saying "available in HD on apple TV".

So what's the deal? Can I download HD films off itunes directly onto my computer? 1080p? 720p? And how do I do it?

And guys, please don't say "you can't tell the difference on a screen less than 50 inches", I think that's rubbish. I was in an Apple shop the other today, and I watched some 1080p trailers on the 17 inch macbook, and then some 720p trailers. Definite difference!

To me, the extra screen size is good, but I'd feel a bit cheated if I couldn't even watch 1080p films.

Cheers guys.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Any Mac can definitely download 1080p movies. The problem is that there are very few legitimate download sources for 1080p movies. I'll leave it at that.

iTunes Store does offer HD TV Shows (and Podcasts), but not HD movies. AppleTV has the option of renting HD movies. The HD material is 720/24p @ approx. 5 Mbps.

ft